what first

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tnezukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if i should lower the truck first or put wheels on it. What do you guys think. I have taillights, and intake on the way, and im trying to figure out what type of exhaust i want. I noticed that some of the lowering kits require you to have a certain size wheel so i should prolly get wheels first huh. Thanks for the opinions.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drop first, then you'll know immediately what wheels/tires fit and what you may need to trim.

tnezukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what i want to do but the mc gaughys kit says that ill need at least 17 inch wheels and so does the belltech. I only have 16 inch wheels. Do you think this is going to be an issue? Im not sure if i want 2/3-4 or 3/5. what kit is best?

dropmech

Reaction score
I'm having trouble understanding why you need larger wheels for a lowering kit to work?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the drop spindles in most lowering kits require a 17" wheel for clearance issues, or you can use torsion keys for the drop but most people can't maintain their alignment with over 2" of drop with the keys (I'm running over 3.5" of drop with keys and have had zero issues).

tnezukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i should get wheels first then? Im wondering if its going to look stupid with 20's without being lowered? maybe ill get the lowering kit first and not put it on until i get wheels. Thanks for all your help boost.

dropmech

Reaction score
The lowering kit seems to be cheap enough that if you're about to spend $1200+ on wheels and tires, might as well buy the lowering kit at the same time.

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i should get wheels first then? Im wondering if its going to look stupid with 20's without being lowered? maybe ill get the lowering kit first and not put it on until i get wheels. Thanks for all your help boost.

mine has 20's on it, stock height, for now, dropping it 1.5"/3"....

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either one you pick first is fine, unless you use drop spindles in the front. If you use drop spindles, then you will definitely need 17"+ rims, or like Boost said, you will have clearance issues with the steering. I personally think that spindles are probably overkill unless you are going for a drop of more than 2" in the front, but to each their own.
I have my 22's on my Hoe and it does't look bad with the stock suspension, but I think when I put my 2/3 drop, it will look better. Keys and springs really aren't that expensive. I got lucky and picked my Belltech kit up on Ebay for about $150. Like a previous poster said, you might consider getting both at the same time.