What Speakers Are You Running?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeadLightBulbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just upgraded my bass to 2 12" Alpine Type R's... Im now looking to upgrade the rest of my speakers in my 4 door Tahoe...

I believe I have four 6 1/2" speakers in my truck?

Can someone please confirm this for me?

And also what kind of speakers are you running or what type of speakers would you suggest I run?

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used JL evolutions in my last high DB build.
Ran around 160 DB in the cab of an s10 and the evos pushed cleanly through the bass.

Here's a pic of what I had planned for my Tahoe. Still have the stfff but not putting it in my hoe.
Don't need 500 pounds of audio equip bouncing around on woops.

IMG_20110414_175112.jpg

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also what year Tahoe? There may be two 6x9s in the roof just inside the rear hatch/doors.

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should have the 6x9s then. Two panels in the roof just inside the door. Iirc they just pop out.

HeadLightBulbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks I will go out there tomorrow and pop them out and see what exact sizes they are...

I was hoping that someone on here could confirm the exact sizes for me so I could just order them then pull them out and put the new ones in...

What brand model etc are you and others running?

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alpine type r in the doors (not happy with them)
Not sure of the roof. I'll check in a bit.

HeadLightBulbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Size Speakers?

Alpine type r in the doors (not happy with them)
Not sure of the roof. I'll check in a bit.

If its not to much to ask:

When you are looking at your speakers to see what brand on them. Can you please confirm the size of the speakers?

What brand speakers would you suggest? You seem to know what you are talking about when it comes to audio.......

In my last two builds I had everything Power Bass.. Which I was happy with but im no longer sponsored by them so I figure I would attempt to try another manufacturer out

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its two 4x10s in the roof. Odd size I know.

I use JL for mids, clarion for tweets and fosgate competition subs and amps.

I was die hard eclipse before they pulled out of the American market.

HeadLightBulbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tahoe Speakers

Its two 4x10s in the roof. Odd size I know.

I use JL for mids, clarion for tweets and fosgate competition subs and amps.

I was die hard eclipse before they pulled out of the American market.

Alright well I just got home from my daughters ballet class... So I didnt have a chance to tear my truck apart and get the sizes of the speakers...

Do you think you or someone else on this board can please let me know the size and locations of each speaker?

Also what type of speakers do you recommend?

Brand?

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaker selection depends on your budget. I use JL evolution car's but a component set is 509$

One 6.5 in each front door and one tweeter in each (front of switch panel)
1 6.5 in each rear door.

2 4x10s in the rear roof under panels that resemble sun visors.

HeadLightBulbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tahoe Interior Speakers

So there is a total of 6 different speakers in the vehicle? 3 sets of 2?

If im on a budget which pair or pairs would you find the most beneficial in replacing? Or in what order would you suggest replacing them?

Also what type of lower cost speakers would your recommend getting? I dont see myself spending $500 + for two door speakers.

Again I have a 1998 Chevy 4 Door tahoe...

Thanks in advance.

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1998 Chevy Tahoe 4 Door..

Wow what a coincidence i have the same tahoe as you but mine's a 4x4 with a z35 police suspension package!!!
anyways as for speakers rear are 4x10's 500 watt after market speakers because the oem one's that i had bought it with where burnt out so yeah as for the 6.5's all four are OEM but the driver's side one is blown and the two rear door one's sound like their going bad as for passenger side it still works like brand new what i plan to replace the 61/2's with are some Boss 600 watt speakers!!!!

98BleTahoe

Reaction score
I just completed upgrading the speakers in my wife's 98 Tahoe 4 dr LT. I replaced the 4 x 10's in the rear ceiling with Kenwoods, and put JBL GT6's (6.75") in all 4 doors. I kept the OEM tweeters in the front armrests as they were still ok. It sounds wonderful through the original OEM CD and Cassette Radio. I spent about $200 including wiring harnesses (recommended), but the improvement in the sound is very very good. Sounds almost as good as a decent set of headphones. I had to drill three holes in each front door to mount the adapter plates that came with the speakers, but everything still looks stock after popping the door panels back on.

JonDeere97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced all four of mu door speakers with some sony 6 1/2" speakers (temporary use) my rear roof speakers i removed and madea mout for two 6x9 kickers, also added 8 1" tweeters. Waiting on my 4 15" subwoofers to get here so i can build a sub box, had two 18" subs with a wall but i sold that set up wall and all lol