what type of shocks 03 z71 hoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat&stac21

Reaction score
i am debating on which shocks to get for my truck. I have been looking at the Rancho rs9000xl with wireless remote. I am going to put ford keys in the front end and 3/4 inch coil spacers in the back with these shocks. I currently ride on 33inch nittos terra graplers stock with keys maxed out which clear well (no rubbing). If i put the keys and spacers in what lenght shocks do i need? Will these shocks ride soft on the road, I nevergo off road allways hwy. If not the rancho which shocks? Want a soft comfortable ride. Does anyone have any suggestions my ears are open.

(Another thing I put in a volant cool air intake with a throttle body spacer and saw a 5 mpg increase before the 33's.)

nyyanksfan

Reaction score
i have the same tahoe. i have been looking at the rancho rsx.....i wondering what others sugest also

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well first of all, this belongs in the lift kit and suspension section...but no big deal. :thumbsup: Mods, do your thang with this one.

Ranchos are good. I would recommend the RS9000 series, or for more adjustability, the RSX series. Those are good, but most everyone here will tell you that the Bilstein HD's are about as good as it's going to get for these trucks with a mild lift. Do the Z71 'Hoes come stock with Bilsteins?

As far as length goes, if you're getting 1.5" spacers for the rear, get shocks 1.5" longer in the rear. For the fronts, you aren't increasing the shock travel very much by installing different keys. Go with stock length if you want, or if you've really got those keys maxed (like 2.5" of lift), get shocks that are .5" or 1" longer. Nothing more than that, or you'll be riding around with your front shocks near full compression all the time. You'll blow one out pretty quick.

Hope that helps some. Good luck.

06tahoez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Z71s come with the Red Tennico shocks. I'm running the yellow/blue Bilsteins on my 06 Tahoe Z71 that's lowered. Others with cranked keys and spacers are running the Silver (longer) Bilsteins.

TXST8tj

Reaction score
i run the 'lifted height' KYB model specific shocks on my suburban with ford keys at a bit over 3" of lift.

i plan to add a longer KYB shock in the rear since i have the 1.5" spacers and the stock shocks are not long enough for my comfort. the KYB shock you use in the rear is actually a Dodge part #.

they are a monotube shock and provide a VERY nice ride at a much lower cost than any other brand.