Wheel Question 20" to 17"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HOTFUZZ

Reaction score
Hi guys!

My truck came with 20" wheels which are nice, but I really love the Steel Police wheels. I want to put those wheels on my truck. Here is the question. Will I have a problem going from a 20" to a 17" wheel? The dealership said I might not be able to do that because of a computer thing and a brake thing. I just don't remember what she said. I think that I should be able to. I think that I should be able to get better gas mileage too. Your thoughts?

Thanks

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tahoe came with 17" wheels from the factory (not police wheels though), so I don't see any problem. The wheel diameter is only going to set your speedometer off by a mile or two at the most. The dealer should be able to flash your computer to fix that or you can get a programmer and do it yourself. I wouldn't expect to see any measurable mileage gain.

gundog

Reaction score
I had the dealer take the 20 inch wheels off and put 17 inch wheels on it when I bought my Yukon. No change was necessary for the speedometer since the overall diameter are practically the same. I have checked my speedo with a gps and it was only 1 mph off at 60 mph which is well within tolerance. I did however calibrate it to be exact with the Diablo Predator. Since I sometimes go off road, I did not want the 20 inch wheels. Also get a better ride with the 17 inch wheels and tire.

HOTFUZZ

Reaction score
thanks guys! Thats pretty much what I thought. That service advisor lady is crazy.

Bowtie1320

Reaction score
I found a new '08 Tahoe on a dealers lot that has everything is I'm looking for with the exception of having the optional 20" wheels/tires (P275/55R-20). I prefer the 17 inch (P265/70R-17) wheels and tires, for various reasons. From my preliminary research on a Michelin tire website it appears that these two sizes are very close in overall diameter.

Since these are all factory wheel/tires(sizes) is there a simple computer program change that the dealer can make for speedometer, antilock brake, traction control or is it the same factory setting?

Is there anything else that is affected by or needs to be recalibrated because of this wheel/tire size change?

Has anyone had a dealer do these things?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a new '08 Tahoe on a dealers lot that has everything is I'm looking for with the exception of having the optional 20" wheels/tires (P275/55R-20). I prefer the 17 inch (P265/70R-17) wheels and tires, for various reasons. From my preliminary research on a Michelin tire website it appears that these two sizes are very close in overall diameter.

Since these are all factory wheel/tires(sizes) is there a simple computer program change that the dealer can make for speedometer, antilock brake, traction control or is it the same factory setting?

Is there anything else that is affected by or needs to be recalibrated because of this wheel/tire size change?

Has anyone had a dealer do these things?

You can have your computer recalibrated if you want, and a dealer can do it no problem, but your speedometer will only be off by one, maybe two MPH if you don't. If you are interested in a wheel swap (I have 17s) PM me.