Window motors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Notrohnad

Reaction score
I have a 99 Tahoe Sport and feel like something is always crapping out. That said, now I need to replace my driver side window motor (and I think my pass. side is starting to go.)

It slowly blew out, working intermittently and then screeching to a halt (literally). Luckily I got the window up as it was dying.

When I took the door panel off not too long ago (to replace the door handle) it looked like where the motor is housed is all riveted shut. The local Chevy dealer wants a lot of cash to replace this for me.

Does anyone know of an easy way to get into the door to replace this? Has anyone else performed this replacement? I don't have the knowledge, tools, or skills to be cutting and trying to replace rivets.

Any hints, tips, or guidance are MUCH appreciated.

Notrohnad

Reaction score
Window Motors / Dash Electric

Anyone have some insight on the window motors issue?

Also, now it seems I have electrical problems in my dash. The numbered radio buttons and the 2WD lights have been out for awhile, but now I have two new problems and there is no pattern I can find.

My dome light only comes on sometimes when I open the door. Also my the speed setting for my interior air blower only works sometimes. For instance, my knob setting is at 0, but the blower is on full blast. Turning the knob does nothing.

Anybody else seeing these issues?????

Sloppydrippins

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat

Hey man I got some of the same issues, and I haven't figured them all out yet either. However I may be able to help with the power windows. My Tahoe is a 98 but I would suspect the power window procedure would be about the same.

After you get the door panel and all of those hard to undo electrical connections, that steel inner door panel has to come out, too. I'm assuming you have your window all the way up at this point. This part is tricky because I believe part of the window regulator is attached to it. Unbolt the panel and I think you have to slide it to the rear to disengage it from the regulator. I would tape the window to keep it from falling and you having to fight it. After you battle to remove the inner panel, you should have good access to remove the motor from the regulator.

Then you should be able to bolt in your new motor to the regulator. NOTE: mine came with a lock screw from the factory that keeps it from cycling up and down. It is important to find and remove this set screw otherwise your window WILL NOT move.

Power windows are wonderful but a big pain in the ass to service. Good luck to ya.