WOT noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '07 Tahoe with the Volant PowerCore intake added, no other mods. This has added some power and a more aggressive sound to it which I like. However, I was driving home yesterday in the mountains and was following a guy who was just poking along. We got to an uphill portion and a passing lane opened up, so i stomped on it to pass him. While I was wide open there was a popping/snapping sort of noise from the exhaust. It is kind of like the sound you get from a straight pipe motorcycle when wide open. Kind of hard to describe. Anyway, has anybody else experienced this? Is this normal, or is there something wrong? TIA

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, nothing that severe sounding. It sounded like the normal cylinder firings, just amplified like they were too loud for the muffler to handle. The best analogy I can come up with is if you blow too hard into a trumpet you don't get a nice tone, you get a more spattery sound. That is what I'm trying to describe.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, that's just the afterburner kicking in. :yesnod:

Seriously tho, did you try it again later?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, that's just the afterburner kicking in. :yesnod:

Seriously tho, did you try it again later?

Cool, I didn't know I had that option!
Yes, it is definitely repeatable, all I have to do is stomp on it. There very well could be nothing wrong, and I don't mind the noise. I just was checking to make sure that I'm not hurting the engine when i nail it.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I understand the sound you are trying to describe. It almost sounds like something is flapping in the exhaust. On my other truck (Infiniti QX4), I had that sound when I changed exhausts and removed the resonator.

Since your resonator is still intact, I am not sure what is causing that noise. Maybe try and reinstall the stock intake to see if the sound is still there underload.

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had mine at full throttle passing before and never heard any poping noise. Mine is still all stock.

Last edited:

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You were in the Mountains under a severe load while uphill. Fuel mixture can lean out due to altitude. If you didnt throw any codes or lights , try it under normal conditions to see if it persists. If it's OK , refrain from WOT in higher altitudes. Should be fine. If it continues solution is to reprogram fuel curve and timing.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the GM CAI and Perf. exhaust and when I stomp on it, it just sounds like someone just lit off a couple of JATO bottles and almost feels that way. :lol:

a016738

Reaction score
My Denali did this after I reprogramed it and added a K&N. I retarded the timing by 1% at WOT with the predator and that fixed it. I'm running the high octane performance tune.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Denali did this after I reprogramed it and added a K&N. I retarded the timing by 1% at WOT with the predator and that fixed it. I'm running the high octane performance tune.

2007+ Denali with a 6.2L and a 6-speed?

a016738

Reaction score
Yup...

07 Black on Black Denali XL
22" AR Octanes w/305/45 Yoko Parada Spec-Xs
HIDs
Black IPCW LED tails
Lockpick
Alpine TV Tuner
Predator Programmer
K & N Replacement filter (til I decide if I want to go with a full intake system...scared about too much noise)
Weatherguard tray mats all around
All interior bulbs, puddle and license plate bulbs replaced with LEDs
blah blah blah...

Last edited:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So, how are you liking that Diablo Predator? Does it know how to control the 6-speed trans and disable TQM (torque management) yet? Also, is it Internet-updatable / PC-connectable (like USB or something)? Thanks for any info!

a016738

Reaction score
The Diablo rocks...no issue whatsoever except the WOT problem that was easily rectified by retarding the timing. Seems to have no isses witrh the 6 speed and I'm not sure how a TQM problem would manifest itself but everything seems to function as promised. Best part of it is being able to remove the top speed limiter. Nothing more frustrating than going limp at just over 100. This truck is a highway ANIMAL now.

I havent modified the tune except for the timing, tire diameter and speed limiter...don't have an exhaust or live at an odd alititude so I really don't have much cause to play with fuel curves and the like. I'm using the 93 Octane tune until gas hits $4 here...then I might consider going back to the lower octane tune.

DIC says I'm getting 14.5 MPG (with 9000 miles) and I've got a really heavy foot.

It is updatable via PC but it actually uses a SERIAL cable instead of USB...wierd but it does work.

-John

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow -- thanks John! That DiabloSport Predator sounds really wicked. If Edge doesn't follow through with their continued "promise" of 6-speed control and TQM reduction, I might look into it. Is your Denali an XL, or regular/short? 14.5 average sounds great. If you can lay down some rubber, then I'd say TQM is definitely turned off / reduced ... can you?

Thanks again!

a016738

Reaction score
It's an XL...and I haven't tried to lay any serious rubber yet. Nervous about twisting up my drivetrain. I assume on this truck the best way to do that would be to turn off traction control, powerbrake it to get the revs up and then let her rip?

She'll give a sqeal and a minor fishtail if I mash it, wheel turned to pull out into traffic from a dead stop out of a parking lot and she does give a chirp shifting from first to second when I'm in manual mode and at WOT. All this without Traction Control disabled.

Many of the guys on the H2 list with superchargers posted videos of smoke shows usually followed a few week slater by posts about their trucks being in the shop afterdriveline parts failed.:rolleyes2:

The Edge product looked awesome but people were reporting issues. I spend a lot of time on the Escalade forum ( http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/ ) and people there were reporting great success with the Diablosport and the 6.2 so I went with it. No regrets.

How's the noise with your intake installed? I like a little of it when I'm hard on it but the wife will complain if it's too obrusive driving at wife-friendly speeds.

The stock airbox setup sucks and I'd love to junk it for a CAI but not if it makes the truck sound like a hoover from inside the cabin.

-John

Last edited:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely agree with you about not hosing the drivetrain. That would be a bad day! BTW, I don't think I have enough nerve to try a burnout in my truck either man... :eek2:

The Predator U7194 sounds really cool. I'd love to be able to compare the fuel economy gains between it and the Edge... Hmmm... :shhh: Maybe early next year...I'm all tapped out at the moment!

The Volant adds a nice growl to the engine when you get on it, otherwise, there's no major drones or anything like that. Having gotten used to bone stock and then going to the Volant 15253 (no PowerCore filter yet), I noticed a modest fuel economy gain, better throttle response, and the growl I mentioned. The Edge enhances about every aspect of that, though they still have zero control over the 6-speed tranny, which is my main problem with it. My wife does not complain about any noise or anything at all, and she's actually pretty picky since she's really the main driver. Link to Volant info is in my sig below...

Later!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I'll bet disabling TQM and lunching the tranny :cryin: would definitely void the warranty. :eek:

08LTZ

Reaction score
Cool, I didn't know I had that option!
Yes, it is definitely repeatable, all I have to do is stomp on it. There very well could be nothing wrong, and I don't mind the noise. I just was checking to make sure that I'm not hurting the engine when i nail it.

first week we had our LTZ we drove to an around Angel Fire, NM from Texas. I did ,too noticed the 'sound' @ WOT...however I have driven WOT at many points between NM and South TX and ONLY heard the sound @ WOT @ altitude...may colloquial..may be something to that....