WrenchGuys BIG 3 Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How well does the 1/0 gauge bend? can it do a 90 degree turn in like, a 6"x6" area? The welding cable I mean.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How well does the 1/0 gauge bend? can it do a 90 degree turn in like, a 6"x6" area? The welding cable I mean.

I don't recall the strand count on mine but the higher it is the more flexible.

weldingsupply.com has "Uberflex" which is more flexible than the regular cable. You would be fine with regular I can almost tie a knot in mine so....

Knukonceptz has just come out with a comparible or better flex line than Kickers Hyperflex. Just harder on the wallet.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knukonceptz is a great budget wire. Though you must watch wire carefully, especially welding cable.

Welding Cable normally fluctuates with the copper prices. Whereas Knu stays pretty firm during the rise and fall. I guess what I mean is before you buy welding cable compare prices on the Knu.

02TAHOELT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did the BIG 3, but i did mine with 2/0 Gauge Welding Cables. Doesn't cost me nothing (Came from work). Big improvement. The only thing is that all three wires are Black, Great Upgrade. Post some pics later this week, when i get a chance to snap some pics.

02TAHOELT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:( Sorry but my engine bay looks horrible, I work @ a Cement Plant and we have a lot of DUST, DIRT, POLLENTS, ETC . . . . .
But here it goes my BIG 3:(

DSC06581.jpg

DSC06582.jpg

DSC06583.jpg

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said that was 2/0? What terminals are those? Are they dedicated 2/0 or did you have to trim. A buddy of mine is going to use a 2/0 run in his install.

02TAHOELT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said that was 2/0? What terminals are those? Are they dedicated 2/0 or did you have to trim. A buddy of mine is going to use a 2/0 run in his install.

It is 2/0 welding Wire, but I used 1/0 screw type the brand was (RAPTOR) i believe. No triming, just twisted the wires in one direction, and pushed & Twisted in. Did have to trim 2 or 3 hairs that didn't go in the Push & Twist movement. Everything i actually used was for 1/0 Wire, but didn't have a problem

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some regular copper 1/0 ring terminals I got form the local hardware store. Im looking at this fat-ass wire, and wondering how am I going to crimp this terminal? it seems to large to solder without melting the jacket of the wire...and a huge iron or torchor something...
this is just a basic crimpy-type of ring terminal. but the barrell is not pre slotted or anything.

I dont have a crimper this large, do you guys have any ideas on how I can crimp this or attatch it? Or should I just go the high-end ring terminal style-- like the type with a set screw?
thanks LMK/.

Pete

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always used stinger hpm 1/0 connectors and just soldered the hell out of the wire once it's inside the connector.
S0PRGPT.jpg

Wait until cool and pull on it as hard as you can to make sure it's solid, then slide the insulation over the connector. Best connection I can think of aside from the crazy ass stuff my bro uses for cell phone equipment at the switches.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put some aluminum foil around the jacket. Just fold it away from the jacket so the heat disipates through the foil before it is hot enough to melt the jacket. If you melt the jacket your beyond hot enough...lol

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so its a torch or a fatty soldering iron? im goin up against 5145 strands of copper.. i hope i can get a good fast flow and not melt the jacket. thanks for the tips, gents.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so its a torch or a fatty soldering iron? im goin up against 5145 strands of copper.. i hope i can get a good fast flow and not melt the jacket. thanks for the tips, gents.

I use the ones from the parts store. You fill the terminal with solder then dip the wire into it.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You fill the terminal with solder then dip the wire into it.

OOOH dude! nice call. but use a torch or iron? I have never soldered somthing this large, sorry to keep asking.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You fill the terminal with solder then dip the wire into it.

OOOH dude! nice call. but use a torch or iron? I have never soldered somthing this large, sorry to keep asking.

Put the terminal in a vice or pliers. Heat it with a torch, fill it with solder, and dip the wire into it.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok Im torching the crap out of this thing and using some decent quality solder... but as soon as I remove the heat and stuff the wire in there, the solder rocks up and the wire wont go in. Am i missing a step or something? would some flux help on the wire to help the solder wick into it? or maybe I just need more heat on there?

Chasmanian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the heat on as you put the wire in. Also might want to tin the wire first.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Faster!...lol

I'm usually pretty quick about it. You must be ready...lol