XM-Sirius Merger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali132

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally, it's a done deal. Every month I get an email from Onstar vehicle diag. and in the email they had this. You can go to XM's home page to read more. I wonder how this will change the price's?

SIRIUS AND XM COMPLETE MERGER
SIRIUS XM Radio Chosen as New Corporate Name

Combined Company Has Over 18.5 Million Subscribers, Annualized Second Quarter Revenue Exceeding $2.4 Billion

Company to Offer Consumers Best of Both Services, While Maximizing Significant Efficiencies

SIRIUS XM Reiterates Financial Guidance; Expects 2009 Synergies of $400 million and 2009 Adjusted EBITDA of over $300 Million

NEW YORK, NY – July 29, 2008 –SIRIUS Satellite Radio (NASDAQ: SIRI) and XM Satellite Radio today announced that they have completed their merger, resulting in the nation’s premier radio company. The new company plans to change its corporate name to Sirius XM Radio Inc. The combined company’s stock will continue to be traded on the Nasdaq Global Select Market under the symbol “SIRIâ€.

SIRIUS XM Radio begins day one with over 18.5 million subscribers, making it the second-largest radio company, based upon revenue, in the country; and, based upon subscribers, the second largest subscription media business in the U.S. With under 10% penetration of the home and car market, the opportunity for continued growth is significant.

“I am delighted to announce the completion of this exciting merger between SIRIUS and XM,†said Mel Karmazin, CEO of SIRIUS XM Radio. “We have worked diligently to close this transaction and we look forward to integrating our best-in-class management teams and operations so we can begin delivering on our promise of more choices and lower prices for subscribers.â€

“Every one of our constituencies is a winner. Combined, SIRIUS XM Radio will deliver superior value to our shareholders. By offering more compelling packages and the best content in audio entertainment, we are well positioned for increased subscriber growth. Our laser focus on subscribers will continue and listeners can be assured that there will be no disruption in service. We also believe that the completion of the merger will eliminate any confusion that has been lingering in the marketplace,†added Karmazin.

XM shareholders will receive 4.6 shares of SIRIUS common stock for each share of XM.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called to cancel XM and they offered a year at half price, about $21/qtr w/ taxes. Said it was a promotion rate.

josev9908

Reaction score
Starting in the fall you will be able to add packages and channels a la carte. I canceled my second Sirius radio when I traded in my car for the Yukon. I still have my plug and play Sirius radio that I use in my work vehicle but it will be nice to get Howard in the Yukon as well. I wonder if the XM antenna in the GM vehicles will work with the Sirius Backseat TV?

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really hope they come up with some device so that the Sirius stations can be played on the 2007+ factory systems.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong but I thought the word was that you have to upgrade the box to be capable of getting both, though I don't see why if the signals are flowing from the same company. But it was something about each having slightly different bandwidths, why can't they just put them both on the same now?

Also, when I had to renew from the trial last month, I resisted getting the 3 year discounted and instead just bought a quarter, not wanting to get locked into a limited selection. I hope this becomes a good thing for us.

PMD GTO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong but I thought the word was that you have to upgrade the box to be capable of getting both, though I don't see why if the signals are flowing from the same company. But it was something about each having slightly different bandwidths, why can't they just put them both on the same now?

Also, when I had to renew from the trial last month, I resisted getting the 3 year discounted and instead just bought a quarter, not wanting to get locked into a limited selection. I hope this becomes a good thing for us.

Thats how I read it. It would exceed the bandwidth if they tried to shove all of the content from both XM and Sirius onto the other companies satellite. I think what they will try to do is produce a receiver that receives content from both the Sirius and XM Satellites.

Tcwhite

Reaction score
For you guys that need to relist with xm, call them up and tell them that you want to cancel your service because the price is too high. Then tell them that your dealrship that you bought your vehicle gave you a promotional code "zwinback." This code let's you have a year prescription for just $77. It has workded with me for four years now. Thought this might help.

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best thing would be if they just combined the best of both channels and got rid of the duplicates (who needs duplicate '70s music?) to reduce the required bandwidth. Ideally they would broadcast the same show (like Stern) on both frequencies so that people with old radios could take advantage of the merge without having to buy new equipment.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
The best thing would be if they just combined the best of both channels and got rid of the duplicates (who needs duplicate '70s music?) to reduce the required bandwidth. Ideally they would broadcast the same show (like Stern) on both frequencies so that people with old radios could take advantage of the merge without having to buy new equipment.

The way I understand it is the band width restrictions, as I think they have to give up some bandwidth.

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I mean. I'm sure there's a lot of overlap between XM and Sirius, especially on the music channels. They could just adjust the programming on each music channels so that the playlist is expanded without having to take the bandwidth of two separate channels. For example, instead of having two Hip Hop channels or two Top 40 channels or two Classic Rock channels, they would combine them so that there would be just one each.

Then the unique channels, like Stern (which is the reason why I subscribe to Sirius) could be played on the same bandwidth.

With the merger, I don't see it as being Sirius with 120 channels + XM with 100 channels = 220 channels to listen to.

I see them merging the channels and eliminating the duplicates so that maybe they'll have 150 distinct channels, but each with more depth. I think that would be the ideal solution.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if it comes to having to get a new radio to get the service, then I'm done as I like my existing head unit and I don't want to change it or have to put out more money, I cheap like that.

Just get a nav system from GM that has the capability for both when they come out, start saveing your pennies now:cool2:. From what I heard when i had an Xm tuner added to my Radio in the jeep its gaurenteed to work for the next three years from xm or they give me every cent i pay them including my monthy payments back. Or i get a new radio for free. Either way i will take it.

Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rollin Thunder, I know you!!!!!

Corvette Pilot!

Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe I don't then!~ Someone with the same screen name contacted me earlier today about my powdercoated corvette caliper exchange, and had previously asked me about powdercoating his intake manifold!

PMD GTO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to a Sirius rep. last night and he informed me that if you currently have an XM radio you will be able to get certain Sirius channels and vice versa but if you want to pick and choose "a la carte" system then you will need a new receiver. http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/xms-postmerger.html I asked him how much longer before I would be able to get Sirius channels on my XM radio and he said it would be in a couple of weeks. He also pretty much trashed XM, which doesn't make much sense to me since they should be the same now......?/?>/?.....

Me: "Yeah I need to cancel my account b/c I sold my vehicle which had Sirius and I now have a vehicle that has XM."
Him: "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, you really can you tell a big difference can't you? Alot of their stations have commercials and it gets annoying."