XM sound quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mad Dawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is just me or am I having problems with XM on my 07 Tahoe. The sound quality coming from XM absolutely stinks as compared to regular radio, even more so as compared to using the CD or Ipod inputs. To me the sound quality is similar to internal computer speakers - very tinny. Even after tinkering with the EQ settings, there is no to very little improvement. I have the non-nav/non-Bose radio in my Tahoe. I had an overnight loaner from the dealership which had the nav/Bose unit and the sound quality was great from XM. Do I need new speakers?? A new XM receiver?? A sound processor that "cleans" up the output signals from the headunit?? Please help!!

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

carguy

Reaction score
Is just me or am I having problems with XM on my 07 Tahoe. The sound quality coming from XM absolutely stinks as compared to regular radio, even more so as compared to using the CD or Ipod inputs. To me the sound quality is similar to internal computer speakers - very tinny. Even after tinkering with the EQ settings, there is no to very little improvement. .

I have a 2007 Suburban LTZ with the NAV unit and the Bose Premium system. My XM is terrible too. Tinny and low-level. Occasionally I also hear low-level static interference on the XM.

Here is what I have surmised. The Denso unit is a lousy design. It appears that the XM tuner does not go into a normal audio input like the CD or AM/FM channels. It sounds like the XM is actually coming over an FM/modulator and it overlaying a weak FM channel. In areas where there is a local FM channel, the XM signal exhibits background noise. I believe the tire pressure wireless transmitters also contribute to the bad XM sound.

The reason I spent extra for the Premium package is so I would not have to have an after-market XM unit with an FM modulator. Even a hard-wired type of modulator is marginally better. I wanted the best sound quality so I went with an integrated unit.

It is unbelievable in this day and age, that a $50K+ vehicle with a PREMIUM sound system would sound so bad.

The only fix I can think of is to go to an external XM unit and use an AUX input. I have a Coastal Electronics GMX-320 Lockpick which provides for two additional audio inputs. You could go in through one of those for a clean look. You would still have an extra XM tuner hanging around though. :cryin:

carguy

Reaction score
The distance to an XM satellite has no bearing on my problem. I know how compressed XM is.

I can take an XM Roady and take the output and plug it straight into the AUX input of my GM NAV unit. It sounds just as good as the CD or AM or XM.

The problem that I am having, as well as others, is the way GM is connecting their internal XM tuner to the head unit. They are obviously using an internal FM modulator which is prone to noise injected by nearby FM radio stations and the tire pressure transmitters.

I may end up using the Roady XM tuner and give up on the internal XM unit .....

wilb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed a decrease in my XM sound quality just recently. CD/radio are fine. I may look into reconfiguring the input. Thanks for the tips.