Z71 HID fogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i know this topic has been covered about a million times and i have read all the reviews on what to get and what not to get and blah blah blah. But for all the mods and installations they seem to be on a Yukon (thanks Getwired - great write ups!) or Tahoes that have the round fog lights. So, my question is - since i have the Z71 tahoe and it comes with the squared fogs, what kind of modification to the HIDs would i have to do and what size(s) would i be looking at. Seems that since its squared its shorter, from front of fog to back, then the round ones making it harder to fit a longer bulb in, following me? i would buy kits for $50 on ebay but that just seems to cheap SO, where is a good price but good quality place to get some HIDs?

any help would be awesome!

really starting to get work done to my truck... just put on the CCM leveling 2.5" front and 1" rear and looks great. I should have pictures soon BUT im going to have to take my car to get repainted - someone thought their key belonged down the side of my truck! :mad2: oh well sh*t happens!

and while on the subject of modifications - was thinking about a CAI. who makes the best and how much do they run?

Thanks

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On here most users use one of the followig HID kits:
1. Higher Level Auto HID (look in he Vendor section under tahoeforum.com image)
2. Jazejeff Black Box HID kit (look in he Vendor section under tahoeforum.com image)
3. Xenon Depot HID kits (look in he Vendor section under tahoeforum.com image)
4. DDM/Apexcone HID kits (google this)
5. Xentech HID kits (google this)
6. VVME HID kits (google this)

The bulb number for both regualr an Z71 Tahoe's is 5202, Jazejeff sells kkits that will fit directly ito your fogs though they cost $230. AS for me I jut plan on buying metal/glass fog housings meant for regulr Ho's off ebay that use a regular H3 bulb, then I'll splice the fog wires and put H3 connectors on the end and BAMN, thats it!

As for CAI, look at the Volant and XDI True Flow intakes, they're really good and popular on these new Tahoe's, plus they are sealed unlike the AFE or other open ones.

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The $58 kits from ebay member hidgate are really good. I have them in my lows and fogs on my 08 Silverado. Instead of paying $230 for the fog light kit, buy a $58 880 kit and silicone them in your fog lights. That's what I did and they have been working great without any issues for about 4-5 weeks!:D

sweetjeeps

Reaction score
I'm an HID retailer. I have an ad in the Classifieds in the forum. My kits are really high quality for $135. My kits are fully warrantied and IF anything ever goes wrong, i replace the parts for free. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I've been doing this for a long time and can answer any technical questions for you.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that if you're careful, an 880 kit will work. Just mod the connectors as applicable, silicone them in like DwDrummer says, and that should keep the tip of the bulb far enough away from the back of the lens, and you'll be okay re: heat. Just make sure you use a 35W ballast (don't get one of those 55W kits)...

Sorry 'bout the keying -- some people are just real jerks. Post some pics when you get it back and the fogs are done! :thumbsup:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you shouldn't have to modify the application in any way... it should fit correctly.

on the GMT 900s they do not make a kit for our fog lights ( thing JazeJeff does but their expensive) so yes, we do have to modify a 9005 bulb to fit in there since gm used a stupid bulb, I think its called PS24W. Its highly worth it, I just have not had the time to do it yet.

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys... once i order my kits i will try them on... its going to be a days work that for sure:sla:

sure is exciting time, this time of year! bout to get new bigger tires, BFG A/T's, brush guard (cause i want one and i know if i bump into someone lots of cost in damage, but lets hope that doesnt happen! :crazy:) HIDs in the reverse, fog, and headlights, LED tails, just installed my LEDs for the puddle and license plate lights, want a CAI, and think thats about it! well for now :umn:

ill let you know how it goes!