Z71 outside aluminum trim 'rust' spots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else with either the Z71 or LTZ package has had any 'rust' spots on the outside aluminum or chrome trim. The spots are rust colored and will not come off. The spots are on all the outside metal trim pieces (mirror caps and door handles).

Any suggestions? I will take it into the dealer to look at during my next oil change.

jmitchell

Reaction score
First off, this is my first post here on the TahoeForum. I've been a very active member of the ChevyForum for over a year now and thought I'd stop lurking around on this forum and join in on the fun!

I have an '07 greystone LTZ with the standard chrome trim package. I have had quite a bit of experience with the 'rust' spots on the chrome trim. I live in Colorado where they constantly mag-chloride the roads all winter long. Last year was my first winter with the LTZ and I washed it every week. When spring came, I noticed on the top insert of the factory chrome grille there were little 'rust' spots everywhere. I tried (non-abrasive) polishes of all kinds and nothing would remove them. Thankfully, my dealership was kind enough to replace my grille under warranty.

I thought maybe I received a bad batch of chrome plated plastic on the grille from the factory, but once again this winter I am having the same rust spots show up. As you are, I am completely frustrated and don't know how to keep these chrome trim pieces clean and rust free. My door handles don't seem to be an issue and I have some very minor spots on my mirror covers, but it's primarily the grille that is giving me problems.

I use Mother's Chrome Polish which is a very non-abrasive polish for the plastic chrome trim pieces. This does a great job with the majority of the winter grime, but it doesn't remove the rust spots. From other posts I've read, it seems like Zoop Seal would be a good preventative product to use, but you need to apply it before the spotting occurs (very expensive too). Also, I might try Eagle One's Never Dull that I read someone else has used on their chrome rims.

Hopefully you can get new trim pieces under warranty, but someone out there must have some ideas on how to get these plastic chrome trim pieces cleaned up and the rust spots removed. Any ideas???

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Mequire's clear plastic polish on the trim pieces and it kind of worked. At least the spot can only be seen close up. After cleaning up the trim, a wax was applied to seal it up (hopefully minimize additional spotting - although there was already a recent coat of wax on it). However, it still bugs me. I think the next oil change will be next month so I will discuss this with the dealer. Hopefully they will take care of this...

Will keep you posted.

PatrykKoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the salt from the road. If you have chrome wheels, you'll see it on them too. There's no way to get rid of it, it eats into the chrome. It happend to some of my Rims a while back. Sucky...