Z71 vs Smoothride vs Autoride - What's the real seat of the pants difference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuckyT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My significant other has has recent back surgery. I'm looking for a suspension setup that is going to be comfortable for her but not put me to sleep driving it.

I'm also going to lower the vehicle 2-3" to make here in and out easier. Any recommendations as to where to start? I'm in love with the look of the black Z71 with the tutone black and brown interior, but I'm worried about the off road suspension being too hard on her backside after the drop.

Any thoughts?

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know about the Smoothride but my Autoride is pretty nice compared to my wife's 04 Tahoe. Lowering it 2"-3" will make either one ride a little rougher tho. Less spring travel which requires a stiffer spring to prevent bottoming out.

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed....

lowering any vehicle with completely cancel any benefits of a stock plush suspension. I lowered a 2001 Tahoe with Bilstein coils in the rear and adjusted torsion bars in front....it was nice looking, but it rode like a skate board. If you really care about your SO back, you will not mess with the stock suspension at all. A lowered LTZ with autoride will ride 10 times rougher than a stock Z71. If you want a nice ride with a sporty feel, then go with the Z71 and leave it alone......ask anyon that has lowered, rough rough rough ride. Good looks and comfort rarely go hand in hand.....

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Z71 is not meant to give a smooth ride, dont expect it too.
On nice roads the ride is nice, but you will feel bumps. Speedbumps will shake you up.

BuckyT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda what feared. Our 03 has a great ride and it's got the stock suspension, so maybe I'll leave it alone.