Sensitive steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redslush

Reaction score
I recently took over a 99 Tahoe LT from my brother in-law. He was a college student with very little money and even less respect for vehicles. I have been working on fixing numerous issues hoping to get it back to a nice/badass Tahoe. The current problem I have my head wrapped around is a steering issue. IIt is acting really sensitive. Driving at highway speeds is a workout as you are constantly having to move the wheel to counteract your last move.

I know these have a speed sensitive steering EVO sensor. Is it possible that this has gone out? Anywhere to buy these online?

On a sidenote, Is the suspension on Sports models pretty stiff from the factory?

RonH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sensor is a common problem on the Tahoe - Suburban models. When it's going out, one of the symptoms is that when your are starting to turn, there will be increasing resistance and then it will "slip" -- no resistance at all, and you can oversteer if you don't watch it.

Look for GM part number 26064468. Several of them on eBay for $30 or so.

99tahoe

Reaction score
steering issue

Speaking of steering issues, I have a 99 Tahoe (5.7L) and have my own steering issues. Mine is that when I turn the wheel, it doenst return to center, so I have to manual return it. The tire pressure is good, inner/outer tie rods have been changed and an alignment done, ball joints r ok and there is plenty of fluid in the reservoir. If anyone else has had these issues, please give me some tips. I dont want to change the steering box if it isnt the problem.

Last edited:

bigrick2179

Reaction score
steering issues

having a similar problem truck jerks while turning and sometimes while driving straight look on autoforum.com the is some info on there sbout the evo sensor ive heard its easy to replace but havent tried yet let me know what u find out :confused2:

bigrick2179

Reaction score
yeah

yeah thought about doing that looks hard and very expensive what was the cost or ease to work on it does ur truck have the evo sensor

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tires not returning to center is either alignment or unever tire wear, or unbalanced tires....only reason I can think of with you having changed all the parts listed.

As for the steering fighting at highway speeds......What about the idle arm on the truck? could be the sensor as well.

bigrick2179

Reaction score
yeah my pittmann arm was bad replaced it but still does it idler arm is fine its either the 30 dollar sensor or the 300 dollar gear box but there is no real help on the internet aboout the evo sensor or in my hanes book which so far has been a total waste of money bring back chiltons

Trip

Reaction score
Changed the steering box and problem is gone.

I've changed all steering components except for the steering box, even the evo sensor and still have oversensitive and almost uncontrollable steering. So I will now replace the steering box. Any helpful hints on changing this thing?

bigrick2179

Reaction score
steering

ok u did the evo sensor that is on the back of the power steering pump i just changed my steering position sensor yesterday took care of the problem runs beautifully now u just have to drop the intermediate steering column its one bolt the shaft may be a pain to get down but it will move with some persuasion make sure that u disconnet the battery for about an hour before u do it airbag could depoly if not and make sure u lock the steering wheel the part is 30.00 or so on ebay if u need anymore help e-mail me at
[email protected] i may be of some assistance thanks rick

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is NOT the evo sensor. they are solid and don't go bad. it IS the steering speed sensor which is under the dash on the steering column. it costs about $30. it looks like a ring with notches on the inside and has a gm plug. this sensor tells the power steering how much pressure to apply so if it goes bad it tells the computer to give full pressure when you don't need it. thus giving you erratic steering.

TexasYukon

Reaction score
Problem fixed

I installed the steering sensor in my 97 Yukon and my problem is resolved. I had no problem installing the sensor but the plug was almost impossible to unhook. Just for information O'Reilly Auto carries the sensor and their number for it is 31025. I had to look it up on O'Reilly.com as the store did not show the part number listed.

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picking up the sensor today to see if that solves my loose steering problem..

The steering felt like you were sawing away at the wheel at highway speed, trying to get it to go straight, bothered me, and annoyed me, I wondered if I was tainted since I was driving an M3 prior to this beast. However, when I was towing the race car it was NOT safe feeling, felt like I was scooting all over the place, and the trailer/car weighs less than 3500lbs.

After I replace the sensor, pitman & idler arms are next on the list. I'll keep everyone updated. I have a hard time believing it is just a sensor issue, but I found one local for $43, [CarQuest] and we'll see if that is the issue or not for my particular problem.

Wish me luck :thumbsup: