HID low beams and fogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoliO

Reaction score
I just got HID kits for my low beams and fogs for my 2004 Tahoe. The kits are plug and play and come with the ballast and bulbs (I choose 6000K). The fogs look easy to replace. I took a quick glance at the low beams and it looks a little more difficult (nothing I can't handle). I am at work today and tomorrow. Will most likely be installing the lights on Tues.
Anybody have any tips on how to get to the low beams? I will post before and after pics sometime this week. :)

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
There are two pins on each headlight housings that you pull out from the top to release the housings. From there you can pull out the bulb and socket and plug in the new HID unit (provided it's plug-n-play). Pretty easy once you look at it.

RoliO

Reaction score
There are two pins on each headlight housings that you pull out from the top to release the housings. From there you can pull out the bulb and socket and plug in the new HID unit (provided it's plug-n-play). Pretty easy once you look at it.

Oh cool I did not know that. I just thought I could get to it by moving whatever is behind it. I haven't really taken a look at it tho. When you remove the housing and then put it back, does it mess up the headlight alignment in anyway?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The alignment will stay the same if you just pull the pins. The pins and guide holes for the pins are in a fixed position. There are two adjusting phillips head screws on each housing for alignment if you ever need to re-align the lights.

RoliO

Reaction score

Thx for the tips. It was very simple to remove/install.

Also,
I replaced the fogs with HID's. What is that metal thing inside the foglight itself? It looks like the bulb shines on it and it reflects the light. However, it looks like if you remove that piece MORE light will shine thru. Do you know what I'm talking about? If so, can I remove that thing? It doesn't look like it will come out of the hole where the lights goes in.

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Thx for the tips. It was very simple to remove/install.

Also,
I replaced the fogs with HID's. What is that metal thing inside the foglight itself? It looks like the bulb shines on it and it reflects the light. However, it looks like if you remove that piece MORE light will shine thru. Do you know what I'm talking about? If so, can I remove that thing? It doesn't look like it will come out of the hole where the lights goes in.

Glad I could help.
I believe the metal piece you are referring to helps the beam spread more evenly. Mine eventually fell off on its own. The plastic housing where the metal clips in looks like it had melted from the heat from a set of hyper-white 6k krypton bulbs I put in a while back. So I pulled the clear lens off, pulled out the metal pieces, and used CA glue to attach the lens cover back on.
Do you have pics of the HIDS yet? I've been wanting to get a set for my foglights also to match.

RoliO

Reaction score
Glad I could help.
I believe the metal piece you are referring to helps the beam spread more evenly. Mine eventually fell off on its own. The plastic housing where the metal clips in looks like it had melted from the heat from a set of hyper-white 6k krypton bulbs I put in a while back. So I pulled the clear lens off, pulled out the metal pieces, and used CA glue to attach the lens cover back on.
Do you have pics of the HIDS yet? I've been wanting to get a set for my foglights also to match.

I'll post some pics in a while. I need to go outside and take some. It looks pretty good tho. I got the set of fogs and low beams off Ebay from HIDIntensity...or something like that. Both shipped to my door for $295 I think.
The only problem I encountered was where to mount the ballast for the low beams. There is not much room behind the light housing. I had to get creative when I mounted them. :D

RoliO

Reaction score
Pics of the HID's

I finally had a day off where I could install these. Install was pretty simple. The hardest part was figuring out where to mount the low beam ballast as there is literally no room behind the light housing to mount it. Other than that, you can install both the low beams and fogs in about 30minutes. I bought these kits off Ebay. If anyone wants the supplier I can give you that info. Both kits were about $295 shipped to my door.

Before pics....

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/BRAIN11/Headlights.jpg

This is the stock low beams and fogs together. I took about a dozen pics and all were dark. This was the best I could do.

Low-Fog.jpg

Front view of the stock lights.

Headlights.jpg

After pics....
Both low beams and fogs have the 6000K bulbs

HIDHeadlights.jpg

This is both the low beam and fog HID's.

LowFogHID.jpg

This is just the fog HID's.

FogHID.jpg

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Looks nice. I need to get my fogs soon to match my headlights.