Buzzing Speaker Phone (above drivers head)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pahnshop

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've been trying to figure out what the deal is with the speaker phone buzzing noise that continues to come from the speaker (or whatever it is) above the drivers head. I've popped off the little grill and attempted to get my fingers in there to unhook it, but haven't had any luck yet. Before I go as far as cutting the wires, does anyone know if this is going to screw up anything?

Thanks!
Steve

2001 Tahoe LT

RonH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part you are talking about is an aspirator and it is a fan with a sensor for the automatic climate control. It probably needs to be replaced. I believe it costs about $25 - $30.

pahnshop

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks Ron! I actually popped it out last night before reading your thread and realized it was not a speaker. Do you know how necessary this aspirator is? Is that the only sensor for detecting the temp in the vehicle?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Do you know how necessary this aspirator is? Is that the only sensor for detecting the temp in the vehicle?

I believe it is the only sensor in the cabin with that purpose. Without it, your climate control computer won't know what the interior temp is in auto mode, and therefore, will not be able to adjust HVAC variants accordingly to your desired temperature.

scarpi

Reaction score
I had the buzzing noise coming from there. The dealer replaced the fan. Buzz all gone now.

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a part number for it? My 2003 started buzzing the last week or so. Im sure the dealership wants lots of cash for it. Can i find it online anywhere? Thanks

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto

Does anyone have a part number for it? My 2003 started buzzing the last week or so. Im sure the dealership wants lots of cash for it. Can i find it online anywhere? Thanks

My '02 buzzes at start up also - seems to go away after I a few minutes. Could be that I just get used to it..... still, I'd like to order a replacement.

Thanks!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score

Here's the OEM part number: 12160947
It should be less than $30. And I'm thinking this type of part may be hard to find on-line, and easier just to go to the dealership. But try anyway; maybe you'll get lucky.

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the OEM part number: 12160947
It should be less than $30. And I'm thinking this type of part may be hard to find on-line, and easier just to go to the dealership. But try anyway; maybe you'll get lucky.
I just checked gmpartsdirect.com for that part #. It pulls up a "sensor" that costs $3.69. Is this it? Seems a little inexpensive.

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked Partsquick.com they have it for the same as the gmpartsdirect.com "list" price of $7, so im guessing this is it. Very inexpensive, i like that. I checked the application list for the part on partsquick.com Thats the one we need. So for anyone who needs it, gmpartsdirect.com search for 12160947 $3.69. or if it is under warranty let the dealership do it.

Thanks JK

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I just checked gmpartsdirect.com for that part #. It pulls up a "sensor" that costs $3.69. Is this it? Seems a little inexpensive.

That should be it. It's a sensor that tells the computer what the interior temp is. Wow, cheaper than I've ever seen it. Used to be more than last time I checked (a couple years ago though).

Rwayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice!! It just started getting cold here and I don't know if that's the reason why I started hearing it or not.. But I just noticed it yesterday morning! And was gonna ask.. HA no need! Thanks guys

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice!! It just started getting cold here and I don't know if that's the reason why I started hearing it or not.. But I just noticed it yesterday morning! And was gonna ask.. HA no need! Thanks guys

mine also only buzzes when its cold, and once the interior temp warms up a bit the buzz goes away. My new sensor will be here tomorrow, problem solved!

Rwayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I just barely noticed it so it probably has something to do with the weather. How much did you end up paying for it?

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I just barely noticed it so it probably has something to do with the weather. How much did you end up paying for it?

bout $14 shipped. They show you a great price but then charge a steep "handling" fee, but still not bad for a part the dealership would charge $30 for.

Rwayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya that's less than half!:thumbsup: which website did you end up getting it from?

Last edited:

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked Partsquick.com they have it for the same as the gmpartsdirect.com "list" price of $7, so im guessing this is it. Very inexpensive, i like that. I checked the application list for the part on partsquick.com Thats the one we need. So for anyone who needs it, gmpartsdirect.com search for 12160947 $3.69. or if it is under warranty let the dealership do it.

Thanks JK

Hopefully i get this up before anyone bought this. That previous part number is not the aspirator. It is a temperature sensor but i have no idea where it goes or what it does. The aspirator is a temperature sensor with a fan built in, that part number (12160947) above is a small temperature probe for somewhere else in the vehicle. The correct part number is 15029252. The cost is $23.25 from gmpartsdirect.com.

Here is what the aspirator looks like. It has a 4 pin harness attached and it sit above the grill that is above the drivers head. It just snaps on and off of the grill. The grill stays attached to the roof permanently. You must remove the driver side sin visor, windshield pillar, center driver side pillar, and the rear left passenger handle to drop the roof. It still doesn't allow a lot of room to reach it but its enough for most sized hands. Be careful not to crease the roof foam, as it would be permanent.

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg