Oil in Vortec 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

karr95

Reaction score
I did an oil change on my Tahoe over the weekend. Since its a 5.7, I assume that it takes 5 quarts, is this correct? When I drained the oil that was in the truck it was at least 6 quarts in there. Did the previous owner overflow it a bit?

BTW, the oil filter was a real pain in the neck to get off. In addition, once you do get it off, the oil drains right onto the front driveshaft linkage. Next time I do an oil change I will try to squeeze a funnel in there or something.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Factory specs call for 5 qts. But if there is a deeper aftermarket oil pan, the capacity will be higher.

Redwood

Reaction score
messy problem

My fix seemed to work well...take a plastic grocery bag and wrap it around the axle, then pass the end back thru the carrying hole at the bags top. now aim the loose end down into your drain pan. the oil will run down the bag and stay off your axle. Speaking of stuck oil filters...funny story to follow...
I had just bought a used 1995 Yukon, and was trying to get it ready for a big family vacation / road trip. The last thing to do was the oil change, and this is the night before we are set to leave. Sure enough the filter is stuck BAD. I finally drive a screw driver thru it, like I have done before when all else fails. As the screw driver went through the far side, I heard / felt something strange. I almost tapped it again with the hammer, but did not. Then I realized that on this four wheel drive rig the filter is sideways, not hanging down like on a Camaro, and I had the screw driver aimed up at the engine as I hammered it...as I held my breath and looked, I saw that the screw driver tip had just scratched one of the freeze plugs! Whew! talk about close calls! Owned the truck another 5 years or so and it never leaked! GL...Redwood