Squeeling Noise like water pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YELLOWBOI

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a newbie to this site. I have a 96 tahoe with the vortec 350. The engine is making a high pitched squeeling noise similar to that of a water pump about to go out. Problem is its been making this noise for over 10k miles and if it was the water pump I figured it would have already went out by now. I've taken it into a couple of shops ex.(Goodyear, firestone, etc.) and no one can figure out what it is. Most just say its normal for a Chevy 350 which I know that is not right. Does anyone know what the problem may be or had a related issue. Fyi.. it has 147k on the clock. :confused:

mightymouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please post more accurate descriptions for a better diagnosis.

You haven't really stated if the noise fluctuates with rpm change,was constant, intermitent, or just at start up.
Sometimes the AC clutch can make a constant squeel, or grinding noise.
An easy test of this is to turn on the AC, and if the noise stops, then it is the source.
If the noise comes only at start up, check your belts.
If it were the water pump you generally get some sort of seepage of coolant from the seals or shaft.

Hope this helps.

riceca

Reaction score
I would take a wild guess and think it would be the bearings in the water pump going out? Maybe something else. Hard to tell unless you are there looking at it.

YELLOWBOI

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It usually make the noise right after I start it up and continues for a while once I take off and disappears. I don't notice it again until I come almost to a stop at speeds of mph or less. It haven't duplicated it in the past two days (which is weird) but I will try turning on the A/C the next time it happens.

riceca

Reaction score
YELLOWBOI said:
Thanks for the info. It usually make the noise right after I start it up and continues for a while once I take off and disappears. I don't notice it again until I come almost to a stop at speeds of mph or less. It haven't duplicated it in the past two days (which is weird) but I will try turning on the A/C the next time it happens.

To me it definetly sounds like a bearing issue in one of your accessories.

YELLOWBOI

Reaction score
a/c condensor lines

does anyone know what the lines coming off the condensor are called? the local auto parts stores do not know and only carry discharge and suction lines that come off the compressor. my mechanic was replacing the orffice tube while changing the compressor and stripped the line so now I need a condensor and the lines that come off it. and I think I will do the work myself this time

NOKUY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fuel pump use to whine. If it is coming from the rear of the vehicle it might be the pump.

RonH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a newbie to this site. I have a 96 tahoe with the vortec 350. The engine is making a high pitched squeeling noise similar to that of a water pump about to go out. Problem is its been making this noise for over 10k miles and if it was the water pump I figured it would have already went out by now. I've taken it into a couple of shops ex.(Goodyear, firestone, etc.) and no one can figure out what it is. Most just say its normal for a Chevy 350 which I know that is not right. Does anyone know what the problem may be or had a related issue. Fyi.. it has 147k on the clock. :confused:

First, you need to find a different shop. A squeal should not be that difficult for a good mechanic if it's happening when you take it in. There are a number of components turned by the serpentine belt that could be making the squeal -- water pump, alternator, power steering pump, idler, etc. Each of them has bearings and each can be the problem. You might start by removing the serpentine belt and try turning each of the pulleys by hand to see if any of them are obviously dragging. A dragging pulley can cause the belt to squeal as it drags across it. Examine both sides of the belt for signs of scuffing wear. If you can't find the cause in this way, take it to a shop that has mechanics that work on ENGINES and let them diagnose it. Good luck.