I know it has been covered before....where to run power wire for an amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMorganUSC

Reaction score
I found a few thread about where to run the power wire for an amp but didn't see anything that helped too much. I saw where wrenchguy said something about a groment to the right of the break fluid box. I didn't see anything. i stuck my hand back there and felt something that could work but I need to unscrew and move that box out of the way....is that necessary? I don't want to drill a hole so if someone can tell me and post a pic of where you went through your firewall that would be great.

Also.....when running power wire in other vehicles i have owned i usually just unscrew the plastic strip between the seat and the door and run it under there down the drivers side. Well i was looking at it today and it looks like you have to take the drivers seat out in order to take that piece of plastic out to run a power wire. Am I missing something here?

Amp is going under rear seat.....someone help me

Scott

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the brake booster in my way so that may be my point of some misinformation. There should be a grommet in that area. I will take pics when I get a chance.

The trim panel along the seat will come out without the seat out! You need to have it full fwd or aft I think full forward though.

MrMorgan there is definitely a grommet you could use. I have 2 8GA wires running through it to power my center console.

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok here are some ideas for you the 1st picture is just the wire coming from the battery and the 2nd picture is just the wire coming out through the side of the fender and under the door for the fuse panel then down the plastic piece between the door and the seat. This piece does snap off you dont have to remove the seat you just might need to move it all the way back so you have better room to work with. then the wire will continue through the floor panels all the way to the back seat. If you dont want the wire coming out of the fender like that you can also stick it throught the hole in picture 4 just push the soft rubber seal to the side and slide your wire in there and then to the panels. I would have done it through there aswell but I didnt know about the hole until after I installed and I just too lazy to change it but I think it would be more professional

Attachments

• 05-14-08_0109.jpg
    05-14-08_0109.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 05-14-08_0111.jpg
    05-14-08_0111.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 05-14-08_0112.jpg
    05-14-08_0112.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 05-14-08_0113.jpg
    05-14-08_0113.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 106

MrMorganUSC

Reaction score
I don't have the brake booster in my way so that may be my point of some misinformation. There should be a grommet in that area. I will take pics when I get a chance.

The trim panel along the seat will come out without the seat out! You need to have it full fwd or aft I think full forward though.

MrMorgan there is definitely a grommet you could use. I have 2 8GA wires running through it to power my center console.

I guess I have the break booster in the way....i guess that is what that black box is. I am glad I don't have to take the front seat out for any of this.

Where you have the 2 8GA wires running through.....where is that?

ok here are some ideas for you the 1st picture is just the wire coming from the battery and the 2nd picture is just the wire coming out through the side of the fender and under the door for the fuse panel then down the plastic piece between the door and the seat. This piece does snap off you dont have to remove the seat you just might need to move it all the way back so you have better room to work with. then the wire will continue through the floor panels all the way to the back seat. If you dont want the wire coming out of the fender like that you can also stick it throught the hole in picture 4 just push the soft rubber seal to the side and slide your wire in there and then to the panels. I would have done it through there aswell but I didnt know about the hole until after I installed and I just too lazy to change it but I think it would be more professional
Gordo....thanks for the pics!

Picture 4.....where is it located? Is that pic taken from inside or in the engine bay?

Thanks guys....keep the help coming.

Scott

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His pic is the grommet I'm talking I'm talking about I think. Its right around the brake system area.

You will want to go through it not next to it. Your going to share the grommet by slicing a little hole to poke your wire through.

Yep I'm almost positive that is the same grommet. The Hoe is gone at the moment.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it is the one Wrench guy was talking about....near the brake system?

Scott

If your system looks like this like wrenchguys then yah :)

dunno.jpeg

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh I guess the tahoe has it different -that hole in picture 4 is lower in the engine bay than the one shown for the tahoe. but it should work just as well if you can get it out the other side. and I only ran the power from the batt the ground is hooked up to a bolt in underneath the second row seat. Its better that way because theres only one wire you run and it works just aswell.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well MrMorgan that isn't the one. I don't have the pic. that was the one I tried first...lol

The one I used is on the right side a little lower near the corner. The grommet is directly under the 2 plugs. It bubbles outward a little bit.

MrMorganUSC

Reaction score
Well MrMorgan that isn't the one. I don't have the pic. that was the one I tried first...lol

The one I used is on the right side a little lower near the corner. The grommet is directly under the 2 plugs. It bubbles outward a little bit.

So in the upper right hand corner of the engine bay? I will poke around a bit more.

Scott

MrMorganUSC

Reaction score
Ok well i took some pictures so you guys can see what i am working with (like you haven't ever seen it before)

First off is just a pic of the right side of my engine bay behind my battery....
100_0608.jpg

The next pic is what i think Wrench guy is talking about.....the groment you have to slit and slide your wire through....i just don't see how you could fit anymore wire through there....
From the engine bay....
100_0609.jpg

From the inside
100_0611.jpg

Again.....see where my arrows are pointing.....esp from the inside....i see no way to fit any more wire through there

The next pic is somewhere i found that i think will work....I start from the battery, go on the right side of the fuse box along the fender and run it through one of the holes in the fender (no pic).....and drop it in on the inside here.....
100_0613.jpg

And pull back that piece of plastic that my finger is holding back in the next pic and continue the wire underneath the panel between the seat and the door.....
100_0615.jpg

That is what i have gathered to be the best way to rout my power wire.....what do you guys think?

Scott

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WTF?...lol

Scott....My grommet doesn't have all those wires in it...lol

Use your best judgement man. I mean it looks like you could do it now that you have looked everywhere. I wish was more help but I GUESS WE ARE NOT ALL THE SAME....lol

MrMorganUSC

Reaction score
WTF?...lol

Scott....My grommet doesn't have all those wires in it...lol

Use your best judgement man. I mean it looks like you could do it now that you have looked everywhere. I wish was more help but I GUESS WE ARE NOT ALL THE SAME....lol
I know...WTF

*Jerry Seinfeld voice*....."What's the deal with all of those wires, I wanna know"

My Tahoe is a 2002 LT....And apparently it has more wires running through it than others.

But i think i got it figured out....I have run this topic into the ground and it should be so simple.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Thanks

Scott

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There might be hope! I managed to take a picture and realized the big grommet your talking about is different than the one I weas referring to my bad.

This pic should clear us up

IMG_1086.jpg

MrMorganUSC

Reaction score
Wrenchguy....

Ok i see where you are talking about. The thing is mine is different than yours. That spot where that grommet is there isn't a one for me. All it is there is a blank spot, and I would have to drill through it if I were to use it. There is a spot cut out in that insalation stuff.....but nothing there but metal.

Plus mine has a big break assembly stuff right there.

Thanks for your help

Scott

g60swappedgti

Reaction score
what gauge wire are you running? i always run my power wire under the truck or car.

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what gauge wire are you running? i always run my power wire under the truck or car.

I run mine on the inside, what if something gets kicked up and hits your wire? That's to scary for me. I've always run my wire thru the firewall.