GM LOCKPICK Success

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spedkid94

Reaction score
I just finished installing the universal gm lockpick from www.coastaletech.com. With this unit I installed a reverse back up camera with night vision right above receiver hitch. Also I have found a way to integrate the rear entertainment center to play over the nav screen. Some what easy to do so if anyone has any questions hit me up because I found very little help on the internet. Pictures are The camera view, screens playing a movie, where I mounted the camera, and where I mounted the control unit for the lockpick.

Attachments

• Yukon 001.jpg
    Yukon 001.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Yukon 002.jpg
    Yukon 002.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Yukon 003.jpg
    Yukon 003.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Yukon 004.jpg
    Yukon 004.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

crestapre

Reaction score
That looks great. What year is your truck?

I would definantly like to see more info on the install and cost.
I have been thinking about doing the exact same thing but was worried about getting in too deep.

spedkid94

Reaction score
It is a 2005 Yukon XL SLT. The lockpick was $189 dollars and the camera was $100 from ebay. The rest I assembled myself.

WaynesNside

Reaction score
Another here...more info!!

I have the same radio as you....how did you get the rear to play on the front? So you can put your DVDs in the rear and still have your Nav DVD in the front right?

Does that kit let you unlock the navigation functions?

What exact kit did you go with?

I have been looking at these kits too, and would like to get one soon if it can work how I want it too.

crestapre

Reaction score
Can you add an input for a IPOD?

I really would like to duplicate what you have done so please send and info/pics/schematics/ and product model info that you can.

Thanks

crestapre

Reaction score
I also have a 2005 Yukon.
I couldn't find the lockpick for a 2005 when I looked at that site in the past.

Again, thanks for any info.

WaynesNside

Reaction score
I also have a 2005 Yukon.
I couldn't find the lockpick for a 2005 when I looked at that site in the past.

Again, thanks for any info.

Yeah I couldn't really find the info for the 06s either. It was mostly 07s and 08s.

spedkid94

Reaction score
Here is the model for a pre 2007 vehicle http://coastaletech.com/gmlockpick4.htm

And yes it has two video inputs...One for the back up camera and the other for any other input. The only problem is you can not get a sound input to the lockpick so that means no sound from an ipod. To get past this i ran a video cable from my rear screen to the lockpick so I can plug up my IPhone to the rear DVD unit and play on AUX mode and get full sound and video on both screens.

crestapre

Reaction score
Does this lockpick also unlock the NAV so that you can use all of the menus while in motion or is it just an aux input type of add-on?

06tahoez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
spedkid94...

Would you mind doing a write up on this? This would be a very useful thread if you could share what you did. I know I'd like to add a camera to my OEM NAV but haven't been able to determine what all I needed to do.

WaynesNside

Reaction score
Here is the model for a pre 2007 vehicle http://coastaletech.com/gmlockpick4.htm

And yes it has two video inputs...One for the back up camera and the other for any other input. The only problem is you can not get a sound input to the lockpick so that means no sound from an ipod. To get past this i ran a video cable from my rear screen to the lockpick so I can plug up my IPhone to the rear DVD unit and play on AUX mode and get full sound and video on both screens.

Man smart thinking.

I guess for what I want to do (unlock nav) this isn't the kit to go with. I like how you got the video to play on both screens though. I definitely want to play movies up front, and your way makes so no seperate DVD player to be ran.

I'd like more info on how you ran the wire to the Lockpick.

Or I guess I could go with this kit and then just put a switch on the VSS wire to unlock the nav?

:confused:

WaynesNside

Reaction score
Sped come back, hit us up wit the info on how you ran that wire....:) Inquiring minds want to know.

I think that I will probably end up going this route too and then add the IPOD LP it they can work together. I just did the VSS wire switch and that works good so that fixed the Navi on the go.

Since customer service (Coastal Tech) hasn't gotten back to me N like a week or so now, maybe I'll just have to buy them and see for myself?????

crestapre

Reaction score
Spedkid94
So where did you find this video feed wire from the DVD?
Did you just tee in with an RCA connector?

WaynesNside
What wire is the VSS (location & color)?
I'm looking to unlock the Nav on the go as well.

Thanks

WaynesNside

Reaction score
Spedkid94
So where did you find this video feed wire from the DVD?
Did you just tee in with an RCA connector?

WaynesNside
What wire is the VSS (location & color)?
I'm looking to unlock the Nav on the go as well.

Thanks

I have an 06 with the touchscreen and Nav....it's the middle connector plug/clip and the wire is green with a white stripe on the opposite side of the pink wire. You'll see it when you pull the radio out. I'll see if I can get the pick I found online.

Here's the link: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81365

spedkid94

Reaction score
How To Splice

You have to take the over head dvd unit out and find the wiring harness that runs from the player to the screen. In that wiring harness there is a blue wire (#5 i believe) that you will have to solder a rca video plug into. I then ran a coathanger through the headboard and pulled the wire down through the pillar and under my seat to the lockpick which is located under my cupholders.

WaynesNside

Reaction score
Another quick question.

Did you solder the one rca wire to the blue wire?

I saw this on another forum....Get your wire strippers and carefully strip some insulation off off the light blue and purple wires. DO NOT cut them, you are just going to be making a splice into them. Now get your video cable and cut one of the yellow plugs off one end of the cord. Strip the wire so the two wires of the video cable are exposed. Now figure out which wire on the video cable goes to the center "pin" of the plug on the other end. Follow me? Basically you just need to separate the two wires and figure out which goes to the metal "barrel" on the plug and which goes to teh center pin. The center pin is "VIDEO +" and the surrounding barrel around the center pin is "VIDEO -". Ill try to find a cable and get pics.

Now when you have all your wires stripped and ready to connect, splice the "VIDEO +" wire of the video cable into the LIGHT BLUE wire on the RSE assy. Splice the "VIDEO -" wire into the PURPLE wire.

One guy even said to just cut the purple and blue wires when you tap into them...I would assume they run to something and you can't just cut them...curious.