01 Tahoe, 5.3L dies at slow speeds, backing up, turning around, etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tahoe dies all the time for no reason. Usually it happens at very slow speeds, idiling, give it gas to turn, back up, pull forward, or sometimes when rolling up to a stop sign it dies. It always starts back up immediately and if i am sitting still, it will idle till I run out of gas and never die. Has anyone ever experienced a similar problem?

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
197k.

Fuel pump went out at 180k, had it replaced with the filter, however this problem has been going on for the last 30k miles

energ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check your air filter (sounds dumb just make sure that and your intake tubing isn't clogged

then check the throttle body see if its got a lot of carbon build up (i would clean it either way with some top engine cleaner, nothing is ever too clean especially at 197k)

IF your car has drive by wire (no throttle cable) check and see if there are any calibration updates

I had the same problem in my Denali and this those 2nd and third steps fixed it, my air filter and tubing was all clear..
hope this helps

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to assume that the dealer has to check it for calibration updates? IT is the drive by wire style. I will check the air filter but I doubt that is it. I have a fram air hog (k&n style, work paid for it) in it that is still pretty clean. I will do some maintenance on it this weekend. I doubt a vacuum line is broken but I will check. I have had busted vac lines on my mustang before and it simply gives you a really irratic idle, etc, and this shows no signs of this. Cleaning the throttle body out would probably be a great idea, but it seems that i will have to get a diagnosis from the dealership about that calibration i guess? thanks for the input, glad im not the only one who has had this problem.

energ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if you clean the throttle body your self you will save some money and that will fix the problem, you won't die out any more, but the calibration makes it run much smoother after its fixed felt like driving a new truck for me

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn thing has died 2x on me this morning after i put it in gear and rolled to a stop, or stopped to turn around.a rghhhhhhhhh

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think cleaning the throttle body fixed it. I can already tell that the rpm's aren't acting irratic anymore where backing up, pulling forward, driving slow, stopping. Granted, some days it would die, others it wouldnt, but I can tell from the behavior displayed tonight when i was TRYING to make it die, and it wouldnt do it. Thanks for the help. I should have know that the idle air bypass had something to do with it.