1997 Yukon Fuel Guage Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HockeyHauler

Reaction score
OK, I have had this truck now for about a month and the one thing that drives me absolutely up the wall is the fuel guage!!

This thing has a huge gas tank, however, everytime I accelerate, turn, stop. hell, look at it funny, the thing is moving, it drives me nuts, is this a normal problem with these trucks or is there something wrong with my truck.

When I accelerate off the line I will move almost a good 1/4 tank.

taho

Reaction score
Fuel Gauge

I know what you mean:ack: My '97 Tahoe LT does the same darn thing. I think

there are previous post's that explain how to remedy the problem, or just try to

live with it, I do. What a bad problem on G.M.'s part, among other problems

concerning that make/model.:cryin:

NOKUY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fill the tank all the way... Reset your trip odometer... Drive 'till it reads 350 miles and repeat.

Fixing it will cost a substantial amount of money more than likely.

taho

Reaction score
Fuel Gauge

Fill the tank all the way... Reset your trip odometer... Drive 'till it reads 350 miles and repeat.

Fixing it will cost a substantial amount of money more than likely.

Sorry, don't want to get you angry, but what does that do ?

HockeyHauler

Reaction score
nothing, it is being sarcastic, that is about as far as you go on a tank of gas

NOKUY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really wasn't trying to be sarcastic. Sorry if it sounded that way. It's just what I use to do. If you average better than 12 miles per gallon (I got 15-17) you should have plenty left at 350. Just don't forget to reset your odometer. To fix the float will require that you drop the tank. Not fun. And costly if you have it done.

RonH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I have had this truck now for about a month and the one thing that drives me absolutely up the wall is the fuel guage!!

This thing has a huge gas tank, however, everytime I accelerate, turn, stop. hell, look at it funny, the thing is moving, it drives me nuts, is this a normal problem with these trucks or is there something wrong with my truck.

When I accelerate off the line I will move almost a good 1/4 tank.

It may be something to do with the fuel level sensor, which is in the fuel tank with the fuel pump. Over time, a film can build up on the sensor contacts that can cause erratic readings. Try using a healthy dose of fuel injector cleaner in a full tank of gas. In addition to cleaning the injectors, this may disolve any film that's on the contacts. The other option would be replacing the fuel level sensor, and that will require dropping the tank.

HockeyHauler

Reaction score
OK, I am gonna run a few tanks of cleaner thru it, is there anything anyone has run in the past that works well, I haven't had great success with the cleaners I have found on the market.......

flauz

Reaction score
hi,

i´m from germany and have a similar problem with my 97er Tahoe. either the needle is on empty, or i joggle the car and the needle moves to full, regardless the level is.
Has anyone an idea for me?
Can i clean the sensor without removing the fueltank?

tanks for your help
regards
franz

NOKUY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no way to physically clean it without dropping the tank. As mentioned in other posts, you might want to try some fuel injector cleaners that you add to your fuel. They might clean it up some and help with your issue. Maybe run a little more than recommended for one tank then run some more at recommended levels for a few more tanks after that. Try also using a premium gas during this cleaning period. Good luck!

HockeyHauler

Reaction score
I have added fuel injector cleaner to the tank (the cleaner I used was recommended for a 80L tank, so I threw in 2) I have ran premium in it for the last 10 days and now it is actually acting worse!!

I can change lanes to pass someone and go from empty to full and back again and actually going up and down hills can make the needle go haywire.

I refuse to look at it anymore it is having epeleptic seizures on my dash!!

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I have the same problem in my 97' Tahoe LT, it is absolutely horrible, particulary when I am low on fuel because I never know if I am out or close to being out etc. I went to the dealer to ask them how much it would cost to get it fixed and it was something like a $800-1000 dollars, thats if the problem was simple, it is just not worth it because they have to drop the entire tank etc. etc.... I just live with it and when my tank gets low I pray I don't run out in the middle of driving somewhere. It is probably my biggest issue I have with Tahoe, and i'll just live with it until I save up enough for a new one. Good Luck :Chevy:

DIER88

Reaction score
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but does anyone know if this is covered by the warranty? My 05 z71's feul gauge is giving me hell. thanks in advance guys.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to say that it should be covered by the warranty. But just ask them when you schedule the work. They will tell you right then if it is covered or not.

DIER88

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm taking it in first thing monday. Hopefully it's covered!

jnicks01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem on my 99 LT. I actually put in a new and complete fuel pump system (for other reasons) and it still did nothing. From what I understand and have read, is that the problem is in the gauges/computer itself. By having your computer "zapped" at a dealer/shop, the problem may be able to be fixed that way. Haven't gotten that far yet though.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, here's my solution. Only trust it when you are sitting still on level ground.:D

HockeyHauler

Reaction score
The solution that I came up with will not be popular with most on this forum, I traded my Yukon in for a 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crewmax 4x4 TRD, I no longer have a pesky fuel gauge issue.