1999 Tahoe Towing Inquiry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thetoad

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have an 1999 Tahoe LT with the 5.7, and 4WD (with 4L60E transmission). It still has stock gearing at 3.73. I currently have a 7000 lb GVWR flatbed trailer and haven't have many problems towing. If I get close to max weight, the Tahoe has some trouble maintaining highway speeds. Hasn't really been a major issue up to this point, but now I want to upgrade to an enclosed trailer with the same 7000 lb GVWR. If forgot to mention that I have helper air bags on the rear and also use a load distribution hitch. So, I need some help/guidance. I would like to get an 8.5' wide x 18' long trailer. but am concerned that the enclosed trailer's air drag will be like having a parachute on the back of the Tahoe. If I have close to a full load in a trailer that big will the Tahoe to able to handle towing it and be able to maintain 70 mph on the highway? Will the drag be too much for the Tahoe? Would it help if I get 4.56 gearing? Would a 7' wide trailer make any difference? Thank you for any help you can offer.
Thanks,
John

thetoad

Reaction score
Bump. Does anyone have any guidance on towing a 7000 lb. enclosed trailer? Please.