1999 Yukon, noise in front of engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Monring all. My 1999 Yukon has an annoying noise in the front of the engine. It started after the surpentine belt delaminated. My wife was driving and drove it home. The belt stayed intact but some cords whipped the hell out of the hood pad and hoses.
Now there is this annoying sound from the area of the belt. It sounds like a cord is still hitting something but I have been unable to find any thing that could be making th noise. I'll use the word clack to describe the sound however, that is not really an accurate description. It will go clack, calck clack, then nothing for several seconds then clack, clack, clack again. I've used a stethescope to try to pinpoint where it comes from to no avail.
Any thoughts.

ColdCougar

Reaction score
Good Monring all. My 1999 Yukon has an annoying noise in the front of the engine. It started after the surpentine belt delaminated. My wife was driving and drove it home. The belt stayed intact but some cords whipped the hell out of the hood pad and hoses.
Now there is this annoying sound from the area of the belt. It sounds like a cord is still hitting something but I have been unable to find any thing that could be making th noise. I'll use the word clack to describe the sound however, that is not really an accurate description. It will go clack, calck clack, then nothing for several seconds then clack, clack, clack again. I've used a stethescope to try to pinpoint where it comes from to no avail.
Any thoughts.

can you post pics of the carnage ... could lead to a sharper eye pointing something out ... are the fans on these clutch fans ?? did the cord mess up any of the fan blades ?? how about loose or cracked fan shroud ?? needs more info ....

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how I would get pictures that would offer much perspective without removing the rad, etc.
The shroud is fine, the fan blades are straight and not broekn. It sounds like it comes from the crank pulley, timing chain cover area but really hard to pin down the exact location.
I thought it was a lifter when I first heard it but quickly ruled that out due to the location the sound seems to come from.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like bvelt parts got wrap up somewhere. take belt off and spin each pulley by had and listen for incosistencies. you can start it that way and see if the noise is still there. if so, you'll know its none of the pulleys except for crank. dont let it run for too long, i'd do this when its cooled down for a while so you can let it run for a minute or two.