2008 Hybrid Talk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevetut

Reaction score
Let's ramp up for some 2008 Hybrid talk. GM is giving them away so should be a flow of talk coming soon.

I got a Ruby/Tan, but want to make some slight mods. Comes loaded, but with kind of a "family" look. Mostly cuz they optimize fuel eco by dropping the cool chrome options.

I want to add the factory 20s back on (yes heavier im sure), chrome hooks and Ruby hitch cover. Wondering if anybody tried yet and if any fitment issues. Or if different wheels possibly affect hybrid regen breaks. Looks like hook openings are there but closed up. Not sure if I pop it open can I bolt hooks right back in. I already know factory chrome grill wont fit cuz Hybrid slightly larger.

Anybody try anything yet? Thoughts? -thanks

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't tried changing anything like that. Let us know if it works.

The 'regen braking' is done through the electric motors in the tranny, so wheels shouldn't effect that at all.

I'd love to find more tech info on how this thing works.

In the winter 'chicago' the motor will NOT turn off if the outside temp is somewhere around 30 degrees or lower, no matter how long ya drive it for.

I'd also like to learn more about when the brake pads are actually used, because under light braking, it's supposed to use only the electric motors, and everything is so smooth, you can't tell whats being applied.

Congrats on the truck!

ozarkgolfer

Reaction score
Are there that many 08's left? I bought my 09 hybrid through the dealer who got it off the Chevy auction block. Two 08's sold that morning - December 26. Mine was supposedly 'used'. Kinda funny as the sales guy took me to see the truck and told me it had 10,000 miles on it. It had 164! I also got the MSO so I can register it as new and get the tax break. However the price was not even close to new...

We have had a bunch of sub 30 mornings (in the teens here) and my gas motor has turned off.

Last edited:

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got a killer deal!

I paid $39k for a new 2008 Tahoe and I thought that was good....another $2200 tax rebate brings me to under $38k. Got the sun and DVD too.

Like you though, I want to put on some better wheels. I am hesitant to do it though because we do not have a spare and should be using wheels/tires similar to the ones on it now.

I already upgraded my sound system too. Replaced amp, speakers, sub. The stock one was pretty bad IMO.

The new one is SOOOO much better. I highly recommend the JL Audio Stealthbox. Much deeper and tighter bass.

Now, as for the Hybrid, it really bothers me how the hood "flexes" at higher speeds.

Do you notice it? Look at the left of it....you can see it shake. My guess is because it is aluminum and lighter....

I actually prefer the front end of the hybrid but the wheel wells seem larger to me....not sure why they did that on the Hybrid.

I painted the front and rear Chevy bow tie emblems black. It cost $80 and looks MUCH better than the gold. Not sure if you would want to do it with yours though since it is red.

ozarkgolfer

Reaction score
I would like to install a mesh grille on mine (for a reasonable price) apparently we have a slightly diffrent grille? Anyone researched that?

I also noticed that we have a pretty large clearance in the wheel wells, most noticable in the back. However, we do have a pretty looking front end, so....

stevetut

Reaction score
Yeah the front has already grown on me i really like it. Kind of like the Camaro. What do you mean MSO [for tax rebate]?

Im not feeling the gold on the emblems either. Ill turn both to chrome and then i want those factory 20s on it. Ill replace the gold center caps on those also.

Id reccommend the OnStar basic svc since we have no spare. As soon as I realized I pressed the button and signed up. They repair you on the spot then back on the road. Plus you should have the trial period anyway. Just tell them to rebill you after trial is over. Plus get them to give you the 100 phone minutes for $15. You get 30 trial mins aleady plus the 100 gives you 130 total. Should last you long time if you only use sometimes.

Any idea if I pop the 2 black panels off I can bolt factory hooks right in. Hesitant to try yet.

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still debating on the front. Its a pretty large front end.

I would like to see a pic of that JL. I have one in the Camaro too.

stevetut

Reaction score
im still curouis about the tax credit. its "used" but most of these 2008 hybrids are factory program cars that were auctioned off to the dealers. so i wonder if i still technically qualify for the credit. basically if just some exec at the factory was driving it was the credit ever actually used yet for the car? hmmm i have to call the dealership monday to straighten this out.

GHR2

Reaction score
Don't know about the 2008s, but the 2009 Yukon Hybrid comes stock with P265/65R-18 tires. The non-hybrid still has P265/70R-17 shoes. Maybe the different profile makes the wheel well openings look different. I also see an option for a spare tire and wheel for $995 on the 2009 Yukon Hybrid.

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remote Start & Fuel Efficiency

Does it affect it?? I would think it does. But since the key isn't turned on, I don't know.

ozarkgolfer

Reaction score
Hybrid talk...dropped my son off to school this morning in my white 09 Hybrid (I removed the glass hybrid stickers but have all the others) and got followed on to the freeway by another Tahoe Hybrid EXACTLY the same as mine. I'm thinking his was an 08 only because it looked like he has a different exhaust to mine. My tip is 3" in diameter and is bent to exit at an angle exactly at the right rear corner (say 5pm). The Hybrid that passed me had an exhaust that looked smaller and exited at 3pm.

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my Hybrid:

tahoe3ed3.jpg

tahoe4ow5.jpg

tahoe2mn3.jpg

PLEASE take off the stickers if you own a Hybrid!!!!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! Agree about the decals. Are the fog lites in the recesses in the outside corners? Any tow hooks?

stevetut

Reaction score
Very SWEET. I wanted black/black as well, but wife convinced we on red/tan. Those look like Caddy wheels/tires (what size?). And how do you find the hybrid performance is affected by them (if any)? Is that a chrome tip also?

Im looking to add tow hooks as well but hesitant to try. I compared front end pics of hybrid & regular and openings look slightly altered. Not sure.