4x4 acting weird, excessive engine idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this morning, I got on the road, and it was icy. I switched to 4H (pushed the lever forward until it engauged), it seemed like I was either spinning more than I was with 2H or the transmission wasn't shifting. I could hear the RPMs (and see it on the gauge) go high, but I wasn't moving much.

I put it in 4L (Pulled the lever all the way back toward me) and it acted like normal 4 low. I was moving, no high RPMs, etc.

I had this problem last time the weather was bad, so I put it back into 4H and just forgot about it. When I go home, I put it in 4H on a patch of ice and it acted normal.

What gives? What should I look into first? Transfer case? Lever to the transfer case?

Hardwarz

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well to me, it would make sense to verify that everything external to the transfer case is working correctly. If that looks good I would look into the transfer case being the problem.

I've never had to work on the 4wd system on one of these, so I can't help you any more than that. Good luck, and report on your progress.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry if im wrong, but i thought that all the way forward was 2h, middle was 4h and all the way back was 4l. at least my k5 was like this.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am probably remembering it wrong, but I thought my 97 K1500 used to be like this:

4L
N
2H
4H

It's been about 5 years since I had that pickup, but that's how I remember it. It seems like I had to pull the lever all the way towards me for 4H. I never used 4L in that rig.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am probably remembering it wrong, but I thought my 97 K1500 used to be like this:

4L
N
2H
4H

It's been about 5 years since I had that pickup, but that's how I remember it. It seems like I had to pull the lever all the way towards me for 4H. I never used 4L in that rig.

i wonder why chevy was not generic with their 4x4 levers.

i remember like it was yesterday.

2h on top
4wd
nutural
4wd LO .

my yukon is auto.

2wd.
4wd
nutural
4wd LO

only in buttons. but they are both the same, i dont get it. :eek:

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wonder why chevy was not generic with their 4x4 levers.

i remember like it was yesterday.

2h on top
4wd
nutural
4wd LO .

my yukon is auto.

2wd.
4wd
nutural
4wd LO

only in buttons. but they are both the same, i dont get it. :eek:

Well like I said, I am going on memory right now, so I might be wrong about that. :ktoe: My wife drives a 94 K1500. I'ts the same as my pickup was, so I can see how good my memory really is when I go home tonight.:confused2:

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are going to make me take a picture, aren't you? :eek:

Hardwarz

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score

4L
N
2H
4H

Damn, the memory isn't quite as bad as I thought. Here is a pic of my wife's 94 K1500. Yep, it's in 4H right now. We just had a major snow storm. My camera sucks, so it's not really readable. But it goes from top to bottom:

4L
N
2H
4H

Attachments

• 4wd shifter.JPG
    4wd shifter.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 1

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
um... wow... nevermind....

Checked last night....

um...

what can I say?

Um....

I'm a moron. lol.

This past summer, when I used the 4x4, I was going down very steep, slick, muddy grades. I would always put it in 4 low and drop it into 1st gear. I guess I got in a habit of it.

Hardwarz