4x4 differential fluid change??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrailFiend

Reaction score
im going to have my fluid changed tommorow morning, but i dont know if i should use friction modifier or not. i have the g80 rear-end which calls for 80-90w. im not using synthetic oil, so i need to know if i need friction modifier or not? thanks.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the G80 is a locker, don't know why you'd need a modifier. The modifiers were used in rearends w/ Positrac that used clutches.

TrailFiend

Reaction score
the g80 code is as follows: AXLE POSITRACTION, LIMITED SLIP. i dont think the g80 is a TRUE locker. i cant wait to get my eaton e-locker installed! i used 80-90w w/ torque modifier, its working better than it was. i called GM and they said it needed modifier. i got a look at the g80 while the diff. cover was off...:smilielol: what a joke! lol

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know what you saw but might want to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-rQTHMVAuw

Mechanical Locking Differential
The Eaton mechanical locking differential was the first to be offered as an option to pickup drivers and today it is known around the world simply by the GM option code G80. This automatic unit, available as standard and optional equipment for rear drive and 4-wheel drive vehicles, makes traction problems a thing of the past. The Locker makes towing large boats and campers a breeze. Be sure to ask your dealer if your vehicle has an Eaton differential.

TrailFiend

Reaction score
yes, i know it works, but when it goes out, it goes with a bang. id rather get that ticking-time bomb out of my rear end and put in a TRUE locker. by the way, that g80 code came right off of the factory sticker.:yesnod: i would say having it IS better than NOT having it though, even if its weak.

Electronic Locking Differential
Eaton’s ELocker™ electronic locking differential made its market debut as standard equipment on the HUMMER H2 and today is also an option on the HUMMER H3. With a simple push of a button a driver can lock all four wheels in a four-wheel drive system and have the ability to exit out of almost any traction problem. Be sure to ask your dealer if your vehicle has an Eaton differential.

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Markets/Automotive/TorqueControls/index.htm

this is what im looking for.