5.3l ghost misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrokenGQ

Reaction score
Hello all, thanks you for allowing me to join your forum. I joined because I am having issues with my 04 5.3l z71. Daily driver with 166k on the clock.

Little background information, I had the heads replaced by a local indy shop about 2 years ago. I had a defective set of heads that cracked (not uncommon from what I've heard) and the new heads are supposed to be the "updated" build. No issues with the heads, but ever since I have had a misfire at idle. Sometimes it's subtle and other times you can really feel it. It has never turned the MIL on.

Myself and my step father being mechanics, we have torn heavily into the engine to no avail. The list of items checked/replaced is pretty hefty:

Plugs, IAC, MAF, fuel filter, tank cleaner, engine grounds checked, TPS reset, air filter changed (k&n installed), intake manifold checked for leaks (used carb cleaner while engine running), valve lash checked shortly after heads were installed.. Mostly basic stuff but things I would put in line with a ghost miss that doesn't throw a MIL.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Scrtcell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ghost misfire

Are you getting random misfires or some specific codes?

BrokenGQ

Reaction score
Are you getting random misfires or some specific codes?

Check engine light never even came on. I ran a scan once for pending codes and got the "random multiple misfire" code, but it disappeared shortly after and hasn't come back to my knowledge.

Other than that, nothing.