$600 Thermostat!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

windswest

Reaction score
my dealer just charged me $595 to change the thermostat on my 2001 Tahoe LS (5.3) - they said the thermostat is connected to the water pump and cannot be separated so the water pump has to be replaced in order to change the thermostat - they said the water pump and thermostat costs $325 and the rest is labor - does this sound right? looking up online i find pumps for $100 - am i being ripped off? i hope someone can help ....

Mr45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems pretty steep...

Just out of curiosity, why did you post this in "General" and "Technical"?

windswest

Reaction score
saw "technical" section after posted in "general" wasn't sure which would be best so i did both ...

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would have been answered either way, we read em all!:thumbsup:

lskipper

Reaction score
This came from alldata for my 04 Tahoe w/5.3. See attached

"The thermostat is not serviceable separately. The thermostat housing (water pump inlet) and thermostat must be replaced as an assembly."

Note: it states "Housing" not Water Pump. I think someone made a mistake.

PS. I would want to see the old water pump. That would explain a lot.

Attachments

• thermostat.gif
    thermostat.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 58

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats weird I was able to order the thermostat all by itself so how would you be able to purchase the thermo by itself if the water pump and the thermo is one piece?

tspain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thermostat comes by itself. Someone has hosed you good. I would be talking with them first thing in the morning, and demad a refund.

That kinda crap is obsurd, and it gives other honest dealers and techs, like myself, a bad name.

Although, did they say the waterpump was leaking? They are bad about leaking from the weep hole on the bottom of the pump. If that was the case, then it should have been replaced.

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work for a Kia Dealership in Portland, I had them change my oil the other day and they found the leaky pump. I had them get me some price quotes and the first one for the Pump was $135, after a couple calls my Parts Guy found one for $114 + 10% (those bastards) making it $128 for the pump, the thermostat is $14 and the gaskets are about $25. 2 Hours of labor at $60 an hour. Totalling $287, preventing a meltdown priceless. Theres some things money can't buy...For everything else theres Mastercard :crazy:

I would compain like a friggin mad man!!! Call the owner! :mad3:

01 suburban ls

Reaction score
I gave the same answer in your other post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

They lied to you.

Copied and pasted from the Factory Service Manual:

5.3thermostat01.gif

1. Drain the cooling system.
2. Loosen the air cleaner outlet duct clamps at the following locations
-Throttle body
-Mass airflow/intake air temperature (MAF/IAT) sensor
3. Remove the radiator inlet hose clip from the outlet duct.
4. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct.
5.3thermostat02.gif

5. Reposition the outlet hose clamp at the water pump.
6. Remove the outlet hose from the water pump.
5.3thermostat03.gif

7. Remove the water pump inlet bolts.
8. Remove the water pump inlet and thermostat from the water pump.

sixty9fordkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i sell that thermostat (with the housing) for $27 and it does come off without taking off the water pump! Oring seal! No adhesive required!

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rat bastards! I'd call the gsm and ask why people are getting ripped off, they should have given you more reason and at least showed you the issue and what they fixed.

87gtNOS

Reaction score
my dealer just charged me $595 to change the thermostat on my 2001 Tahoe LS (5.3) - they said the thermostat is connected to the water pump and cannot be separated so the water pump has to be replaced in order to change the thermostat - they said the water pump and thermostat costs $325 and the rest is labor - does this sound right? looking up online i find pumps for $100 - am i being ripped off? i hope someone can help ....

Hmmm...
Here's what the GM PC says..
If you have the ORIGINAL water pump use...
INLET, W/PMP(USED ON PUMPS WITH CASTING #12562459)(INCLS INLET, SEAL, THERM0STAT, VLV, RETAINER)(IF WATER PUMP HAS BEEN REPLACED BY 2004 OR NEWER PUMP, MUST ALSO USE -2004 OR NEWER INLET.)(ACDelco #15-10412)

This part is $44 retail price Canadian.

HOWEVER if you have replaced the waterpump, you must use the 2004+ model year Inlet assembly (T-stat!).
Part # 12600172 Inlet for $77 retail

So NOTE that the replacement GM water pump # for roughly all 99 to 06 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 engines is #89018166.
PUMP KIT, WAT(INCLS PUMP, PIPE, PULLEY, THERMOSTAT, SEAL, BOLT, INLET, GASKETS)(MUST BE SERVICED WITH 2004 OR NEWER PARTS ONCE PUMP IS REPLACED)(ACDelco #251-714)

I HIGHLY recommend using the real GM water pump. I have sold the cheaper Delco version and about 3 other brands of 'NEW' water pumps and have had many failures. The GM pumps seems to last best.

The GM pump is currently $358.50 retail CDN.

...how do I know all this?
Jonathon
Parts Manager
www.avenueparts.com

Last edited: