7.4 liter...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a whole lot for the info guys, I really appricate it and dont know what I would do with out this forum and the awesome knowlegible members. This is the only one left as the other too are not avail any more. Sierra sold, and the guy with the 2001 8.1 liter decided to keep it enless i paid him 11k, Which questioned his honesty with me. Since he advertised so low, he may do that to anybody. So I passed,

If they give me enough for my trade, and after I bring my mechnic down with me to look at it, if they both check out I will bring here home.

Gunna call it Renegade. Just seems to fit as a Bad @ss truck dont play by the rulz:D:cool2:

One more question though, How much of a power loss may i see with the lift. Will it still tow my 5000k Boat. Or would I have to return it to stock to do that?

She has got some miles, but in my past experience with GM trucks and high miles (some of them i put more than 300k miles on them, with some work, but nothing huge like an engine, biggest thing was a rebuilt tranny on 1) Im not to worried, 140k for all i know is just broken in. LOL

Last edited:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the 5.7 the biggest thing i have noticed is the gas milage fell down to best being about 11.5MPG. It'll still get up and go if you hammer it but if your towing it i'd regear it and with that 9" lift on it your gonna have fun finding a drop bar.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the 5.7 the biggest thing i have noticed is the gas milage fell down to best being about 11.5MPG. It'll still get up and go if you hammer it but if your towing it i'd regear it and with that 9" lift on it your gonna have fun finding a drop bar.

Towing is my last require ment. If it ever came down to it I can use the new one. I just wanna use that as least as possibe for the daily grind. Weekends, dates, and just office work is when i will use it. But when i go to a dirty muddy job site thats when i will use this one. Im just makeing sure it can do it. But from the pics it looks like it has a good drop hitch, i would give him an extra 50 bucks for it. I already have a 7 and 1/4 inch drop for my new one. had a 5 and 1/4 and the trailer would strape on a drop. wiht a 7 and 1/2 its perfect.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What gears would you reccommend. is 4.10 enough, or are you thinking 4.56 or even 4.88?? What kinda RPM are ya turning at highway speeds? Also how is your ride. Any new vibrations with the lift? I travel on highways alot. I wanna be sure im not turning 3000 rpm at 65 mph.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at the moment im turning under 2000 RPM at 70. i'll let you know what its turning after i get it back wednesday. they are putting in the 4.88's on my truck. it'll give me a reason to put 37's on it at some point.
35's- 4.56's
37's- 4.88's

No different vibrations here, only when im going 1-5 miles and hour you can feel the lugs on the mud terrains.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at the moment im turning under 2000 RPM at 70. i'll let you know what its turning after i get it back wednesday. they are putting in the 4.88's on my truck. it'll give me a reason to put 37's on it at some point.
35's- 4.56's
37's- 4.88's

No different vibrations here, only when im going 1-5 miles and hour you can feel the lugs on the mud terrains.

SO once at speed you really dont notice a difference? Except your just a little higher off the ground, I have personally never lifted one of these. Lifted my k5 blazer, but im not sure if thats the same.

but GREAT. Thanks again. I hope its regreared though as man those things are EXPENSIVE!!!!:eek:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope not much of a difference at all. just have to leave a little more room to stop, haha

eh regearing it isn't to bad price wise. just have to buy them at the right time. i just bought the gears and an E-locker for mine and got a decent deal on the three and install on them. she goes in tomor...er.... later today....

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope not much of a difference at all. just have to leave a little more room to stop, haha

eh regearing it isn't to bad price wise. just have to buy them at the right time. i just bought the gears and an E-locker for mine and got a decent deal on the three and install on them. she goes in tomor...er.... later today....

Since its 4wd, shouldn't both front and rear, be regeared??