97 hoe defrost problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok my ac/heat control whent out it would'nt switch of defrost (far right) i whent to dealer and bought new switch $190. wow any way now when i switch to defrost it stays on the floor and very very little on dash any help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!everything else works great

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW! $190 bux! i'd take it back and get to autozone! i replaced mine a few years back.. the switch had literally melted (tahoes/yukons are bad on electrical) - but, if you don't feel like taking it back, check the wiring harness going to the switch to see if any of the pins are burnt, or any of the wires - the one i bought from autozone was $17.99

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Switch?

are we talking about the same switch? the 3 turn nob ac/ heat switch right under the radio? maybe i should say control switch cause if you got that at autozone for $17 bucks i am P O. i am hope n we are talking about two different switches but if so i cant think of another switch for the ac/ heat let me know though

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling with memory here, but if I recall, mine 99 Tahoe had the same problem but the issue was with a slide located above the heater housing over the transmission hump. I had reached up in there tracing some wiring and had broken the plastic slide. Replaced it and I had defrost once again.
Hope this gives you something to work wit.
Regards
Tom G.

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
diffaculty?

how hard was it to reach up there and fix it ? what if any thing did you have to remove to do it

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will attempt to get a picture of the area this evening, if I can get up in there with a camera. I don't recall it being difficult to repair but it was six or seven years ago.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm talking about the switch that you turn for it to be Heat, Or AC - the switch that goes max ac, ac, and then which heat do you want, vent, defrost, feet, etc... that switch

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking a pictureis not going to be much help, it does not show much.
So I will attempt to draw a verbal picture. Directly above the accelerator there is a servo motor attached to the heater housing. That servor motor is connected to a small plastic and metal slide which opens and closes the defroster ducts, if I recall correctly. Here is how you check to see if it is working. Start the vehicle, get down on your knees and reach up and over the servo motor, feel the kind of flat vertical strip directly behind the servo, (toward passenger side). While holding that strip (it's actually a slide) turn the control switch to defrost. You should feel the slide move in a half circle as it moves defrost postion. If you don't feel it move than the servo is not closing or opening the defrost butterfly or whatever that diverter is called.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Tom G.