97 Hoe Lift and tire questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colabella7077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the differential of the front and rear, and upgrading, so IDK much about them. However, I have a 3.73 and I was wondering how does it improve gas mileage, along with horsepower or torque? what's a good upgrade for the rear? I got one tire spinning but I want both to spin but it be optional

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what did the gears run you? what exactly does a locker in the rear do? thanks

supaman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the gears and locker new were like $1500 but i bought them from a frienmd and got them for $800. before i geared it i had the 3.73 and could only spin 1 but now i roast my 37s with no effort at all its crazy. my truck launches much better, better gas mileage and has a lot more low end pull

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so total it ran you......

$2500 for the suspension and body lift....
$800 for the gears and locker set up installed?.....

$3300? for the new look tahoe?

supaman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u need to add another 100-150 for the body lift and 1600 for new bfgoodrich km2 tired and 800 for the dick cepek dc-1 rims

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
adds up quick! haha. they want 600 for the new gears for mine (front and rear) 600 to install them (ha!) and then 500+ for whichever locker.

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i wanna know what its gonna run me so lay it on thick.....hahah want this truck to last for a very long time

supaman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea im right there with u i want mine to last a while too...the only thing i can tell u is that if ur in it for the long run spend more and do it right!!! thats the biggest difference in the world..if u half a$$ it u will pay so much more in the long run and u will hate it

bayou_visions

Reaction score
I wouldn't put anything SKYJACKER makes on my ride - they have the cheapest made lift systems that will not hold up under heavy off road use. I live three miles from their factory and know some of the guys that work there (all A_holes) !

I want to put a suspension lift on my 97 hoe. Ive been looking at the 4.5-6in skyjacker lift. Is any one out there running this lift, have any comments about it, or any better suggestions? Also, i am clue less as to the whole tire thing, with all the numbers and which ones will work best on that truck after i put the lift on. If any one could give some insite as to what the numbers for the tires and rims mean i would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

supaman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i agree buddy of mine has 6" skyjacker and he has had nothing but problems. i will stick to my pro comp 6"

DoubleJ1981

Reaction score
I'm looking to place a 4" lift on my '96 2 door and I'm looking for some testimonials regarding a 4" lift. I'm looking for more clearance (obviously), and the capability of more freedom while off-roading. I'm not talking about hardcore rock crawling type driving, but I have been known to push my current setup a little too far. Also, I hesitant to go any higher than that because this is also my daily driver. Anybody have any info regarding a 4" lift and how they help you perform off-road?

aquaholic

Reaction score
i would highly recomend procomp. here's mine with a 6" pro comp + an add a leaf in the rear. tires are 37" on 20" avalanche rims. the low sidewalls due to the 20" rims makes the truck handle like vette.

Attachments

• S5000294.jpg
    S5000294.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 23
  • S5000292.jpg
    S5000292.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 13

fyremanpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I trimmed my rear brackets and bored out the mounting holes.It gave me enough to hide that gap better. Not perfect but you dont notice it unless you look for it.

aquaholic

Reaction score
it has a double knuckle cv jount in the drive shaft to relieve some of the stress on the transfer case due to the extreme drive shaft angle and a rear locker. thats about it. it's not heavily modded. just wanted it to look cool.