97 tahoe 4wd issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

padow

Reaction score
I just bought a 97 tahoe 1500 around 170k on it. When i test drove it everything was good 4wd was working but did have some other issues. After about a week p1870 code came up so ended up replacing the transmission valve body. Also had code for bank 2 sensor 1 o2 sensor replaced it. Replaced all fluids in trans, front diff, rear diff, transfer case, fuel filter, air filter and serpentine belt/tensioner. Previous owner just had plugs wire and distributor cap done and intake manifold replaced around 3000 miles ago.

After all the work i did on the the truck i went for test drive and found that the 4wd was not working. No lights come on when i turn on the ignition and no service 4wd light comes on. I checked the fuses with a meter and they were good and did the reset procedure where you turn ignition off and on 5 times. No change in symptoms and still no lights on 2wd 4wd hi 4wd lo on start or while running.

To me this seems like the TCCM has completely failed as i am not getting any codes or lights on dash.
Anyone have any experience with this 4wd system have any advice for me? All help is greatly appreciated:confused::help:.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4wd module doesn't have as many issues as the button on the dash assembly, I would suspect that first (had to take mine apart and clean it/ resolder connections). AFAIK there is no SVC 4WD light on these rigs......

Hope this helps.

padow

Reaction score
I will remove switch tomorrow and reflow all the connections thanks for the advice!

On another note p1870 came back on after around 30miles of driving and hard 1-2 shift any advice besides a rebuild trans? Was shifting smooth before service engine light popped on I have replaced complete valve body and did 2 drain fills on trans.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

padow

Reaction score
Yeah valve body install was pretty straight forward I got this one off Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00STN8W9Q/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I may take by a transmission shop and have them check it out. Currently when I reset the hard shifts go away and this is a backup vehicle I don't want to put down the money for a rebuild. I guess I can call the seller of valvebody and see what input they have also.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would consult a few experts (or as close as you can get to it.)

padow

Reaction score
Well I started messing around with the 4wd switch and it is now working thanks for the input!!

I guess figuring out the p1870 will be next I appreciate the help.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NP... the switch is pretty notorious.....