99 Tahoe died while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clean95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the fuel pump.

Have someone stand outside your truck and put their head by the gas tank. You turn the ignition to the forward position (not starting it) if they hear the whirl of the fuel pump priming, then it should be OK. If not, then it's time to drop your tank.

Hardwarz

read the top reply s he says he doesn't hear the pump when it stalls and trys restart.... and the notorious gm fuel pumps are noticeable

erikog76

Reaction score
my truck just did the same thing today
i'm almost positive it can't be the fuel pump because the car does't stall
from no gas it just died like an electrical issue
besides i installed a new pump allready
on volkswagens they have something called a power supply relay
that will cause the same issue
if you find out whats wrong and what you did i would appreciate the advice

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
little note on these Newer OBS rigs.. when they run out of gas, or the fuel pump dies - it doesn't stall it just shuts off... - All your new Fuel Pumps should come with a New Wiring harness, and when you are replacing the harness, go ahead and Look Up to where the ground Wire bolts onto the Frame, go ahead pull it off, and grind on the frame to get the rust off, and go ahead, and run a new ground wire to the new wiring harness (IE Dont use the Old Ground wire) then peel the ground wires plastic off, and you will see why i said this - the wires will most likely Be Black from being burnt, pulling two much power

madspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well , mine hasn't done this once since cleaning up the battery cables. I took apart those stupid arse side terminal post connectors and cleaned everything up real good, put her back together and 'viola!!

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they make a product for that in a spray can, for battery corrosion

Undecisive

Reaction score
I just got my Tahoe out of the shop for the same issue. It was missing some while driving and eventually got to where it would go to idle rpms while driving and would not accelerate. On the way to the shop it just died and would not restart.

After some checking, he found the wiring under the fuse box that goes to the FP relay burnt. He replaced the wiring and it runs perfectly fine. He is going to go ahead and install a new pump when I have the time. But check on that. It took a total of 2 months before mine went completely under.

98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check the fuel pump as mentioned. I hope you don't need to have someone chase down the wires. That could be very expensive!! ****ty thing is it's not 100%. They could spend 20 hours and find nothing. 1300 hundred bucks and "sorry sir, couldn't find the problem. Will that be cash or charge?"

Undecisive

Reaction score
Yea but it's pretty simple to run em down yourself. The wiring under the relay is where I would check first. It was causing multiple misfires due to the pump cutting out. We found out the pump only ran about half the time. You can pop the fuse cover off, and then pop the fuse panel itself out and look underneath the cover where the fuses plug in. That would be my first place to start.

erikog76

Reaction score
thanks for the tip
i used the old ground now that i think about it
also the gas needle vibrates probably because of the same ground
it still seems weird that the radio went off and so did all the
dash lights
i cycled the key and everything came back up
i'll check it out tomorrow at work thanks

mrlee727

Reaction score
I know its been some time since this was posted. But I just had the same happen to me with my 96 hoe; I was driving down the street at about 30 mph when the engine just died. I lost power steering and brakes. Pulled over waited about 5 minutes and tried to restart and everything worked!! Started right up...however it drove down the road about 1/4 mile and it shut off again. It did this a few times until I finally got it to my driveway.

Now I've checked a few other places and most are suggesting to replace the Ignition Module and Coil which would run about $114 bucks. Others suggest the fuel pump...which is a possibility...since its been about 5 years since I replaced it last.

I don't know what to do...replace the Ignition Coil & Module for $114 and hope it works or take it into a shop?

erikog76

Reaction score
tahoe died while driving

it was a simple fix i have a side post battery and it turned out that even though the connection was tight the metal contacts were poor i cut out the rubber covers on both terminal ends and installed new bolts to the battery making a sure connections at both ends since then the problem never came back i also fixed my dads truck with the same repair good luck

mrlee727

Reaction score
tahoe died while driving

Thanks for the reply,

So replacing the battery connectors corrected fixed the truck? No more engine dying? I don't think its the batteries or connectors...I have a fairly new battery with sidepost with solid connectors. And right after the truck shut off I was able to turn the key and hear the starter cranking over the engine...it just would not turn. I waited the 5 minutes an viola!!! It started! I will take another look at the connectors and tighten them.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the battery connection still. The alternator is not self exciting, it needs the battery connected to it to work properly.

Hardwarz