A\C Control Lights and Dash Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackietheYukon

Reaction score
I have had a couple of the lights in the ac control up front go out. I went to G.M.C. today and they said that the control box in " unservicable" well I think nothing is unservicable these days with the right stuff. There has to be a way of replacing or changing these lights without having to buy a complete new ac and heater control. Has anybody ever cracked this thing open to see why it is " unservicable" or has anybody changed the lights themselves. Also the dash lights, can they be changed or is there a forum post that tells me how to do it. Thanks Yall

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have a solution, but I have heard it is possible. I would also like to know how if someone can chime in....

BlackietheYukon

Reaction score
I took it Apart

Alright so I I was board and its raining outside and I have a garage to work in so I decided to see if this was infact " unservicable", it is not. After taking the dash off I seen that two screws that hold the unit in place. After taking the screws out and removing the plug from the back it came right out. I observed four screws on the back of the unit. I unscrewed them and gently took the knobs off with a rag and plyers. The unit then opens up and you can see lights. It looks like the lights are soudered into one of the two circuit boards. There are a total of four of them. You can eisily pry the circuit boards away from each other buy squezzing together the small plastic nipples that holds them together. Do not try and pull the lights out, as I said they are souldered into the circuit board. So at this point I had a option, go to radio shack with the unit and see if they had the lights available and in any diff colors " blue " with my dash apart and also buy a soldering tool or put it all back together and wait for the rest of them to go out before I fixed em. It was so easy to get apart I decided just to wait until another one goes out then take it to Radio Shack and order the lights and fix em. I hope they have the lights in stock but a doubt it so to replace the lights it will proble require you to take it apart and take it to the shack then when the lights arive to actualy replace them. I hope this helps all of yall with this problem. There is also pictures I attached to this post so you can check the lights out for yourself. God Bless You All

Attachments

• AC Removal.jpg
    AC Removal.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 48
  • AC Removal (2).jpg
    AC Removal (2).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 36
  • AC Removal (5).jpg
    AC Removal (5).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 31

tnyturner

Reaction score
Any update on this? I am having the same issues with lights on my AC panel and my radio?

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the HVAC lamps can be changed with a soldering iron. The four buttons on the bottom row of my control never lit up and I assumed my trim package didn't include them. I also got bored one day and took the unit apart to look and there they were. Four burned out bulbs in a row.

I replaced them with Radio Shack PN# 272-1154 bi-pin lamps. Problem was that the Rat Shack in my area only had 2 in stock so I used a blue LED for the A/C and a red LED for the rear defroster. Looks sweet. :cool2:

Note: The leds I used had different current needs between to the red and blue so I had to use a different resistor for each and I also cut traces on the circuit board so that both legs of the LEDs would be secure. You could prolly use glue for the resistor leg and not cut any traces. Don't use hot glue. I have never had hot glue last long on any dash work when the interior gets blazing hot in the summer.

Greb

Attachments

• DSCF0147.jpg
    DSCF0147.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

MrTinker

Reaction score
Okay, where do I get these from?

Hello everyone, I recently purchased an 04' Tahoe with separate HVAC controls for passenger and drivers side. The lights behind the selector switch are burning out and I'm looking for the OEM parts. Can somebody help me identify the correct bulbs? I think they are incandescent like posts above but I would prefer to have the original parts, they look like a "blue" filter on them. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• 20151011_113748.jpg
    20151011_113748.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20151011_130924.jpg
    20151011_130924.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20151011_130939.jpg
    20151011_130939.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20151011_131343.jpg
    20151011_131343.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20151011_130952.jpg
    20151011_130952.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 7

MrTinker

Reaction score
Radio Shack bulb listed in prior posts:

My local Ratshacks have a few each, so am thinking of getting these, can someone else verify they will work? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20151011_141418.jpg
    20151011_141418.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 6