A/C information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for information on the A/C system, namely the diagram for the compressor (to rebuild it) and information on the amount of oil, refrigerant, etc to use

I also need torque specs for the compressor to get it installed correctly

I have all the gaskets to rebuild the compressor, new orifice tube, new accumulator/drier, the oil, refrigerant, a manifold set and venturi vacuum, and the compressor, all I lack at this point is the finer details as I seem to have lost them

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone looking for information here is a little I have gathered

To re torque the bolts on the compressor itself, it is 72-84 INCH/LBs of torque, roughly 6 ft/lbs, this should be done progressively in a star pattern just like reinstalling a tire

Torque for the manifold installation bolt is 21 ft/lb

Between the clutch hub and the pulley you need .02 to .03 inches

The Center o-ring is a different size than the 2 outer O-rings and most kits come with all 3 and they are not individually marked (how many of the factory installers used the wrong O-rings?)

To replace the various gaskets and O-rings you also need a clutch plate removal tool and an AC pulley remover, to reinstall those you need a seal protector, which is a tool that slips over the shaft to keep the Teflon shaft seal from ripping or being abraded

The Accumulator/Drier and Orifice tube need to be replaced at the same time as the compressor, the compressor and drier both need to have oil replaced equal to any that comes out, so measure that

the oil required is PAG 150

The system with Rear AC takes 64 ounces of 134a, and 11oz PAG150
Front AC only takes 36oz 134a and 8oz PAG150
These figures hold true from 1994 through 1999, 1993 used R12 and 2000+ is a different system

http://www.techchoiceparts.com/refrigerant-and-oil-capacities/abcd#chevrolet