ABS Light and Reduced Engine Power...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EOBerg

Reaction score
While driving home today, I went over a set or rail road tracks and my ABS light and Parking Brake light came on. As I drove up my driveway, the engine started to surge and when I hit my brakes my door locks started unlocking and finally when I was stopped it stalled out completely. When I tried to start it back up, it wouldn't crank at first and once started, the reduced engine power message came up and it died again.

On a side note, during all this, even once it was shut off, with key removed, and the door open, the radio stayed on. I'm lost, as is my normal mechanic. Any ideas?

EOBerg

Reaction score
I've tried unhooking the battery and letting it sit, this helped for about 5 min then it started acting up again. And, one last thing. If I shut it off and leave it sit 5 or so min, it'll start up and all lights are off and it seems normal until I hit a bump...

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the ground cables at the rear of both cylinder heads there about a 16 gauge wire not very big its a black wire with a white tracer that comes out of the wiring lomb at the back of the engine you want to tug on them a little if its the problem the wire will breake there at the terminal the one on the passenger side is most common*for*breaking off or coming loose at the terminal where ir is bolted down you also want to check the othe ground that sits under the exhaust manifold bolted to the engine block below cylinder#3 its boltes in with the ground cable to the battery you want to feel the smaller cable to see if there any hardareas on Iit you can feel it by just slightly bending the cable if you feel hard spots those are areas of corrosion causing high resistance

Metaldrgn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both abs and brake light coming in means you abs module isn't working correctly. With all the other issues it sounds like a mux bus issue.

I'd have to check schematics but you probably have a loose connector

Last edited: