AC problem '02 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vexilar

Reaction score
Hi,
2002 Tahoe. 1st symptom was a slight vibration felt in the cab at idle when the AC was on. About a month later, while driving in the city with the AC on, I heard loud noises during turns. The noise sounded similar to a stick being inserted inside of a moving box fan. AC still blows cold and through the proper vents.
Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions? Thank you.

P.S. Just joined the forum today. I perused a bit and I apologize if this is a duplicate post. :eek: <---- FNG

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bearing starting to go out at either the a/c compressor pulley or tensioner assembly or at the other belt area. Need to get a mechanic's stethoscope and listen for the noises and especially if someone can turn the steering wheel inside while you are under the hood.

vexilar

Reaction score
OK. Thanks. I have been unable to duplicate the noise in my garage. I'm stumped as to what the loud noise was. Everything appears to be operating properly when I observe it from under the hood. I know the compressors are prone to failure in that year class. But as I stated, The AC still performs well. Also the belt was replaced last year. I forgot to mention that. Thanks again for the reply.