Aftermarket head unit question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronjeremy6

Reaction score
a friend told me that a double din will NOT fit in my 2001 tahoe dash, but WILL fit in a 2005 Z71 silverado. both the dashes look the same from the outside. whea gives?

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search function is your friend.

The actual size is a DIN and a half. A double DIN will fit, but you will need to trim the dash panel and make some custom brackets and side plastic housing.

Brandon00hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ronjeremy6, let me know what you find out. I am planning on installing a double din soon.

ronjeremy6

Reaction score
Search function is your friend.

search function wasn't being very friendly prior to the start of this thread :) double din turned up nil, and all aftermarket searched i found were related to wiring and electrical.

i know what size the factory unit is, i'm interested in installing a double din touch screen unit. a friend of mine has one in his 05 Z71 and told me that it wouldn't mount in my 01. now i'm a believer in "with enough time and money anything's possible" (i've raced sportbikes for 4 years now, that statement is definitely true) but i don't want to heavily modify the factory mounts.

with that being said, JK get in here!! :D

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup yup.

Unless you're skilled at trim work and fabbing fiber, I'd say don't try it. Too many folks think they can take on this type of work (myself included) and it looks like ass when it's done.

Either find a 1.5 DIN unit or a single DIN and live with it, unfortunately.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to be replacing my Premier 960 with the Avic D3 and bluetooth unit in the next week or so. My truck's an 01 so it only has a 1.5 din opening, so I'll be fab'ing some brackets and doing a little trimming. I'll post some pics of the install when I get a chance to put it in.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
How bout fab up a bunch of brackets and trim work and selling it?

;)

Maybe. Only problem is that not all DD units are created equal. The finished trim fit may not be exact on all brands. In other words, some models may exibit a small gap while others might fit perfectly flush with the new trim. But I'll definitely keep this in mind while installing mine and possibly at least make a few universal mounting brackets.

revbco

Reaction score
Maybe. Only problem is that not all DD units are created equal. The finished trim fit may not be exact on all brands. In other words, some models may exibit a small gap while others might fit perfectly flush with the new trim. But I'll definitely keep this in mind while installing mine and possibly at least make a few universal mounting brackets.

Hey...Could you at least take some detailed pictures of the install. I would like to install a DD unit in my 02 Denali. Some detail pictures of the dash would be a lot of help in the future before I rip into my truck.

Thanks.

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good point, forgot about that.

What are you fabbing the brackets out of?

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the Clarion Double Din in my 06 Tahoe fits perfect...I had the Clarion Flip Out in my 02...you're probably gunna have to trim some things for it to fit...