Air bags and big rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STREETutilityVEHICLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have decided (actually my wife is telling me) that i'm going to air-bag my hoe. I'm going with the Air-Ride Tech. Shockwave front end, and cool-ride rear kits. I'm ditching the spare tire and putting my tank and compressor there. My question is, I'm buying my rims in the next couple of weeks and I need to make sure i can "air-out" with no problems. I'm looking at putting a set of Velocity 730's on the hoe, 22s in front and 24's in back. do you think i'll have any problems with those rims? or do you know of some rims that will tuck nicely when dropped? thanks for the help and i'll take pix as i go through the install. Thanks.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't stagger the wheels and I'd research building a kit if you're comfortable with fabrication. Anything with some good backspacing will clear, you'll want to do some more research and measuring if you want to lay frame. Dual viair 480c's and a 10gal tank should work well, check out some tech articles on fullsizechevy.com for more ideas as well. I'd bag and body drop that bitch on some 22's laying rocker but that is alot of work.

STREETutilityVEHICLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think i'm going with 24's, without a body drop, at least for now. I just want adjustability with my ride height, ride it up, and park it down. I'm going to check into the fullsizechevy.com like you said. i've emailed asking what the backspacing is on the rims i'm looking at, but here they are on ebay (not where i'm getting them)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/24-I...006QQitemZ160215302426QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

what do you think of these with bags... think i'll have any issues as far as tucking the front and back inside the fenders? I'm going to be putting 2" front drop spindles also, and probably semi-c notching the rear. But i don't want to get into shortening the axles in back and narrowing the front end.... i'd rather get a different and smaller set of rims before that.

STREETutilityVEHICLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be getting my rims in 5-6 weeks. and I'm getting my bags put on shortly after. But i don't want to buy the wrong rims and not be able to tuck them. I'm hoping i don't have to run 22's. I really want to run 24's but they HAVE to tuck! What offset should i look for? I had thought about having the rotors drilled out for a 5 lug Dodge Magnum lug pattern. I've seen lots of 24's that would probably tuck on those. Well, hopefully someone has the info i need, thanks. Also, would the rims above work? They are Velocity 730's. 24's.

STREETutilityVEHICLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm starting to peice together my bag system. It will be at least a month before I install the set-up. But for now i got the Easy Street AutoPilot digital bag controller. You check it out on youtube if you want, just search for "Easy Street Autopilot" and it will be a picture of a guy holding a digital controller. It's about a minute and a half long so it's pretty short, just explaining how it works.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c0bbh2plgaU

In the next week or so I'm ordering my rear bag set-up, tank, compressor, lines and fittings. Then in another week or so I'll be getting my front struts.

I'm getting Air Ride technologies "Cool Ride" rear bag kit for our tahoes(part#ARR22100). its a straight bolt on kit. Comes with bags, brackets, and shocks. Runs $400 and i'll be doing the install myself, so saving some bucks there. The tank and compressor are going to be mounted where the spare tire is now. Who needs a spare tire with AAA and roadside assistance?!?!LOL Then on the front I'm running a set of Air Ride Tech. Shockwave (part# SKW1014) Air struts, they cost around $950, but are the best and easiest way to lower the front of our rides.

I was wanting to rim it up before i bagged it, but i gotta be able to tuck nicely and it may take some looking to find the right rim. Which offset is closer to tucking, +13 or +30? I might just get the rims too and sell them or something if they don't tuck. I'm thinking +13 is closer but i don't want to order the complete opposite of what i'm needing... thanks

Last edited: