Alternator Making Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sporkboy657

Reaction score
Have a 1997 Tahoe, don't know when the alternator was last replaced - but I had it tested about 2 months ago and it was working fine. It still seems to be in working order - but recently I have heard a squeaking noise when I started the truck. It was originally just when it was cold but it has gotten progressively more frequent. I replaced the belt, and that did not help, but in changing the belt I noticed the pully squeaks on the alternator and all the others seem to be nice and silent.

I don't know if this means the alternator is going bad or not, I WD-40'ed the crap out of the pulley but still the squeak kept right on going. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything like this. I suppose tonight I will pull off the alternator and see if there is anything else I can do. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like you need a new altinatior. you can go get it checked again just to make sure, but once they start squealing its game over.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WD-40 won't do your alternator any good. It's a penetrating oil, not really a very good lubricant. It may quiet the bearings for a very short time, but the only way to fix them is to either re-build or replace the alternator.