Anyone ever painted their stock grill?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymt21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard the "chrome" requires a loooot of sanding, is this true? Do you need to get past the "chrome" to the primer? Or just scuff it up enough to get hte paint to stick. Ive never done this so does anyone have any step by step instructions? Also, do the same rules apply for the bumpers? How do you get them off?

I want to blackout my grill, so I would think that blacking out my bumpers would match better than the chrome. But will the black look odd with a two tone green/brown paintjob? Any ideas?

Thanks, Dan

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'll have to scuff the heck out of both to get a good hold for the new primer and the paint. it'll be a little time consuming but won't be hard.

its been awhile since i pulled the front end apart on a FSC but ther should be 4 bolts across the top of the bumper and another 2-4 on the bottom of the front bumper. and the rear i want to say is 4 bolts up behind it. (may be a little different as the truck was a 90-91)

clean95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i sanded my grill not alot but just enought to scratch the chrome, then for the bumper Rust-Oleum flat black for the bumper, that stuff work like a champ! LOL id sand them both not to wheres there's no more chrome left but enough to get the paint to stick turned out really well and do a few light coats, god luck..