Auto Ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, i am new to the SUV game and have recently purchased a 2001 LT with 92K. I have owned it about 30 days now and just had a couple of questions about a few things i have noticed while driving it.

My tahoe has autoride which i believe comes with the self leveling feature. My question is that when i first start my truck up i can hear a vibration that sounds like the auto level system running, it sounds like it is on the drivers side. it only makes the noise for a few seconds then it stops, so my question is, is this something that is normal? or should it not be doing this?

the other thing is that on roads that are nice and smooth the ride is perfect but on side streets that have imperfections and grooves in them it seems that you can feel every little bump. also when pulling in and out of drives i will get some side to side rocking. this is my first SUV so i dont have anything similar to compare it to, but my impression was that with the autoride it should help quite a bit with this. Does this sound about normal how it should ride or should i get the shocks check out?

I know that was long but thanks for all the input and suggestions

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI,your going to love being in an suv,its hard for some to go back to a car because of the height and safe feel plus there's a ton of mods you can do.Anyway your truck sounds fine,the noise you hear in the back is the air compressor for the air ride that is normal that it comes on, then shuts off after you start it , shocks empty out every time you shut the truck off,then fill back up when you start it.The auto ride doesnt really make it ride better its just to keep the rear of the truck at the right height,so if you load it with people and towing something the back pumps up to factory height like its parked empty,some suvs will look like there doing a(pop a wheely) with a rear loaded.The sway you feel is weak sway bars they all feel like that,to correct that get Hothkis sway bar kit it will stiffen the back and fourth sway alot ,that means you can make turns harder without it feeling like your truck will flip over.The bumpy ride feel is usually a larger rim or small tire problem.But I think you are mainly complaining about the sway rocking back and fourth down an uneven bumpy road and the sway bar kit will help that alot.Good luck!

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks for the info, guess i was a little off on how the autoride works. also do you know about how much a sway bar kit would run?