Average Mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slickpartner

Reaction score
cool. mine usually hangs around the 17.1 mpg mark. i dont do alot of city driving until the weekend. is 16.9-17.1 considered as average in these vehicles?

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have the 5.3L and when we take trips it will hang out in the upper-16s, low 17s on roads with slight hills. Depends on whether we're cruising at 70 mph or 80 mph. So your figures sound right.

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17 is what I'm getting in the city now with my mods. I was between around 13 before. I'd imagine I probably would get 15-17 on road trips, but I never calculated it.

Most of my road trips are in a rental :)

MikeCallery

Reaction score
Weird. I seem lower than most of you in the city, and higher than all of you on the highway.

2006 5.3L Z71 is getting about 14.5 city and 22.8 highway. Now, highway is at about 68 on cruise and city is moderate driving, it's easy to make these figures drop, but this is the best I've run.

slickpartner

Reaction score
thanks guys. looking to add a few mods soon to help out fuel economy. electric fan and cai comming soon..

MikeCallery

Reaction score
Slick:

I am certainly not the expert here, but from my experience so far, you definitely want to research your intentions and make sure they are compatible.

I found, for example, that I enjoyed the performance increase and changes incorporated by adding a Jet chip to my '06 5.3L but then, it had a negative affect when I added my Volant CAI. My mileage dropped somewhat.

I just pulled the chip the other day, refilled and now have the Volant only and my mileage increased from a 12.x to a 14.x My dashboard indicator moves around a bit but I would conseratively est. that I increased at least 1.5 to 2 mpg.

Does it make the Jet chip bad, certainly not, but, it does show that you need to research the mods.

Best of luck and let us know how this pans out.

ayeplussjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine stays between 19.0 and 20.5 on the interstate cruising 70-75 but that will probably go down when I put 285 all terrains on it.

So is your average mpg indicator changing when you are on the interstate and then decreases when you are in the city? Mine stays constantly around 15.3 regardless if I'm on the interstate or in the city. I haven't seen my mpg change at all. This makes me wonder if my mpg indicator is correct or is even working.

YukonJacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a "00" Yukon, I put a K&N on, Went to all Synthetic lubes, new plug and wires, I went from 12 mpg to possibly 12.5. Of course Its all hills and winding road use, but still you would have thought there would have been a bigger change. Or is the change in everyones mpg BS

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is your average mpg indicator changing when you are on the interstate and then decreases when you are in the city? Mine stays constantly around 15.3 regardless if I'm on the interstate or in the city. I haven't seen my mpg change at all. This makes me wonder if my mpg indicator is correct or is even working.

Your average mpg indicator takes data from a long period of time (it appears to be hundreds of miles, though I'm curious to know exactly how many!) to calculate the average mpg. You can go in through the information center to Reset the average mpg indicator, and then you will get a pretty "short-term" calculation (it'll jump around for the first few miles obviously). I went and reset it once right before taking a 800-mile road trip to see what I would get with straight highway driving.

FLATLINE

Reaction score
What octane are you running to get anything over 14? If i use 87 i maybe get 13-14 mpg. I switched to 89 and i got between 15-16. I drive mostly highway but with a lot of hills and traffic

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dunno if the digital is BS. It's pretty close in my wife's Benz.

I don't have a digital one, I do all my calculations at the same exact pump around the same time at the QT station.

Not to mention I run the trip odo every time I fill up (it's a habit from the motorcycle). I know I need to get fuel at 150 mi on the Ducati, and I know I need to get fuel at 380 on the Tahoe. :lol:

I always have to fill with Premium. I get some knocking when running 87.

speedr1023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how exactly does the MPG indicator work? does anyone know. I reset mine often and it bounces around for a while before settling down. But should you also reset the gallons of fuel useage or does that not matter?