best battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrailFiend

Reaction score
in your opinion, what would the best battery for a 99' tahoe, that will eventually have: roof rack lights/brush guard lights/towing hitch backup led's/400w amp w/ tube style sub? its a daily driver/weekend toy. i dont want to get stuck with a dead battery in the middle of nowhere! also, i need to buy one asap, because mine is dead right now. thanks for the help!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I'd put in a yellow top Optima. Deep cycle capabilites, vibration resistance, very low IR, maintenance free.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the red-top Optima and its been 4 years and it never ever did anything funny. It ALWAYS says 12.18 volts when its not in use.
Optima is the way to go, whatever color.:cool2:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optima Batteries

Optima Red Top here as well (in my daily driver -- works like a CHAMP!) Spiral gel cell seems to be the way to go if you don't wanna mess with a battery for a long while... When I need a new battery in my '07 Yukon XL Denali, it'll be an Optima battery for sure.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you guys are happy with your Optima batteries, but IMHO they are overkill for a street vehicle. Unless you live in extremely climates, a normal lead acid battery is sufficient for street use. And, I have heard from people on other forums that they really don't last any longer than a conventional battery. I don't know, because I haven't owned an Optima. But I have had batteries last for 6 or 7 years before having to be replaced.

The last Consumer Reports I read that reviewed car batteries actually recommended a battery that Wal-Mart sells.

in your opinion, what would the best battery for a 99' tahoe, that will eventually have: roof rack lights/brush guard lights/towing hitch backup led's/400w amp w/ tube style sub? its a daily driver/weekend toy. i dont want to get stuck with a dead battery in the middle of nowhere! also, i need to buy one asap, because mine is dead right now. thanks for the help!

How much do you want to spend on a battery? Optims start around $140 last time I checked, and deep cycle versions quite a bit higher than that. If I were you I would stick with a good conventional battery, and consider upgrading your alternator if you are concerned with power consumption. You need a higher amperage alternator to power everything you plan to add. It's your alternator that will be powering everything 99% of the time, not the battery.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea rite dude. optima rules. i had mine in a showtruck with a 1000 watt JL audio amp plus mad other electrical power hogging goodies. with the stock alternator and my framerails grounding it out whenever i parked. i still managed to get 2 years out of an optima red top i paid $119 for at advance on sale. (regular batteries wouldn't last 2 months even if i drove my car every day to charge it up). i called advance auto and they gave me a brand new one for free cuz it had a 3 year warranty regardless of abuse.

optima or deep cycle marine batteries have more cca than any other battery. cold cranking amps is what matters when your life depends on your car starting.

i am running a blue top optima in my tahoe now. i can play my radio for hours with the headlights on and the car not running and still crank right up first try every time. yea it's overkill but that's exactly the way i like it. you can't have too GOOD of a battery, DUH!

stuff that's overbuilt doesn't have the tendency break when you need it most

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea rite dude. optima rules. i had mine in a showtruck with a 1000 watt JL audio amp plus mad other electrical power hogging goodies. with the stock alternator and my framerails grounding it out whenever i parked. i still managed to get 2 years out of an optima red top. i called advance auto and they gave me a brand new one cuz it had a 3 year warranty regardless of abuse. i am running a blue top optima in my tahoe now. i can play my radio for hours with the headlights on and the car not running and still crank right up first try every time. yea it's overkill but that's exactly the way i like it. you can't have too GOOD of a battery, DUH!

stuff that's overbuilt doesn't have the tendency break when you need it most

technically thats not a street vehicle, since you did auto shows, you need it, but i dont think every one here does that.

i have a yellow top just becasue i have one, makes me feel better when its 115 here in the garage. but right now its 30 LOL.

but i did both, upgraded to a 200 amp alternator and a yellow top, best things in the world.

TrailFiend

Reaction score
thanks for the help!

i just bought a yellow top D-34/78 - 750 cold cranking Amps (870 cranking Amps)...it works great. now i have to get my lights and amp hooked up!

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
That's not true. Please don't spread mis-information. The yellow top and the blue top are considered deep cycle batteries, but the red top is a "starting" battery, and not considered deep cycle. Got that information right off the Optima web site.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/

Mike is right. Only the yellow and blue are deep cycles.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i ain't "spreading mis-information"

i am fairly certain that if you check with an actual optima employee they will veryify what i stated. though it may be called a starting cycle battery on their website, it is not a traditional lead-acid design. it is a closed, gel-filled 6 cell, deep cycle design. i did not mean to mis-inform anyone

please accept my sincere apology mike97 :kap:

p.s. that showtruck was my daily driver and only vehicle for 3 years with the hydraulics and laying frame with 2nd optima red top still going strong

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apology accepted jw, but not really necessary. :) It's all good. I didn't mean to make you feel that you had to apologize. Sometimes I come across a little harsh. Probably bleeds over from the other forum I belong to. Bunch of kids thinking they know everything there is to know about Honda Preludes. Anyway, Glad to hear you're are happy with your Optima.