Black Bear Custom tune (got mine)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHISTOSO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow!!! Got my tune and did the install, security and crank relearn and it was very easy.

I'm in love with my Hoe all over again. It is a 100% improvement in all aspects of performance. Don't know about efficiency yet as I haven't driven it enough to compare but it runs like a raped ape..

This thing screams at WOT. It feels so light and powerful and I have the 4.8. The shifting is also smoother and firm.. Throttle response is instant, overall, I am loving it!!!

Justin really knows his stuff, it took a little more time that I expected but I'm in no way dissappointed. I just sent him a log of a run with the new tune for review and as soon as he gives me the OK I'll send back the cable and the core PCM..

Thanks to everyone who helped..

For those of you who are contemplating it or having 2nd thoughts, you will not be dissappointed, get on that waiting list for the cable because that's gonna be the most of your anticipation..

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Told ya so! Be careful tho I clipped 120 on the way to work today...too damn easy to get into trouble now.

CHISTOSO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Told ya so! Be careful tho I clipped 120 on the way to work today...too damn easy to get into trouble now.

No shiat!! I was doing 100 before I knew it this morning myself..I can imagine what a 6.0 can do.. Definitely the best $200 I've spent in a long time..

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody have trouble with thier relearn process? I went through mine twice, and im on the third try. I pulled the air ride fuse so the pump isnt going and i have the e brake on so the lights arent on. all my other stuff is off and it hasnt worked. the first time around the security light turns off then i go for the second round and the light doesnt even come on. Any advice would be great, thanks!

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Anybody have trouble with thier relearn process? I went through mine twice, and im on the third try. I pulled the air ride fuse so the pump isnt going and i have the e brake on so the lights arent on. all my other stuff is off and it hasnt worked. the first time around the security light turns off then i go for the second round and the light doesnt even come on. Any advice would be great, thanks!

You have to follow the directions EXACTLY. If you dont wait enough time before the starts then it fails. Let me know if you are having problems still.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No shiat!! I was doing 100 before I knew it this morning myself..I can imagine what a 6.0 can do.. Definitely the best $200 I've spent in a long time..

I may just have to catch up with you one of these days and check it out... I'm in East Mesa... just a stone's throw from Tempe... I've been back and forth on the tune... wanna get a CAI first...

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
intake won't do sh*t compared to a tune. I'd bet a 4.8 with only a tune would stick right next to a stock 6.0

Tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about a blackbear tune, but I dont know which level to get, the basic or the cable. If any one can shed some light I would appreciate it.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about a blackbear tune, but I dont know which level to get, the basic or the cable. If any one can shed some light I would appreciate it.

AFAIK, a basic tune is a 'cookie cutter' tune... similar to what you would get with a programmer's tune (just using their canned tune)... a cable tune will give you the advantage of pulling data and sending it to BB, so that it's a custom tune for your driving style / vehicle. It also will alert them to things that need to be fixed before tuning to give you best performance and reliability.

As for boostaholic... I know I won't see as much improvement with a CAI, but when I get my tune, I want to have the best data possible for Justin. ;) I want it tuned with my mods... plus, with my current financial situation, it's much easier to swallow than all the up-front costs of the BB tune. (i.e. credit cards are maxed out... not enough room for the cable deposit and core charge)

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even drop the loot then, just save it and buy a bunch of stuff before the tune. vette servo and exhaust, maybe a converter or cam. stuff is pretty cheap and it will be way faster if you do a bunch of mods at once.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even drop the loot then, just save it and buy a bunch of stuff before the tune. vette servo and exhaust, maybe a converter or cam. stuff is pretty cheap and it will be way faster if you do a bunch of mods at once.

On the other hand... some of us aren't as extreme as you are... :thumbsup:

I'm just going basics on this one... I don't need a Kid Hauler Hot Rod... I just want some better power and fuel savings. I won't be doing any internals, just bolt-on's. Not only am I neck-deep in debt, but I'm having another kid in a few months... if I'm going to have a "project"... I don't think it'll be a 'hoe or anything of the sort.... it's the family hauler / camping mobile.... not to mention... with the backlog of cable tunes... I'd be on a good wait list, anyways...

I've been itching for a project... but I have had my hands full with school, work, and family.... not to mention trying to dig myself out of some pretty deep debt. I think my "project" will be something on the lines of an S10 or S10 Blazer (98-03) w/ 5.3L or LS1/6.... Daily Driver for me. The 'hoe is for the wife / family... basically... it'll get intake / exhaust / tune... and maybe 20's... but... that's going to be the end of it.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
word I can respect that. tune is gonna be the best mileage gain tho, worth the wait and it doesn't make the fam hauler obnoxiously loud. I'd consider a basic tune if you want, still a hell of an improvement from stock or any handheld.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like i need to get me a couple of these for RT2 and renegade (my trucks LOL) cant imagine what one of these tunes would do to the big block. That thing has tons of power now.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
word I can respect that. tune is gonna be the best mileage gain tho, worth the wait and it doesn't make the fam hauler obnoxiously loud. I'd consider a basic tune if you want, still a hell of an improvement from stock or any handheld.

Yeah... but for $50 more... I'd rather get it customized. :thumbsup:

The initial layout is what's killing me... it used to be OK, but then I had a few months of over-spending and had to use my credit cards to live... so, that trashed my "buffer" I had for it. Now, it'll have to wait until I get my bonus or something.

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't wait for mine I get it done on nov 8th up in minn so Justin will be doing mine in person. The only thing i'm not looking foward to is the 8 1/2 drive there but from the sounds of it will be all worth it!

CHISTOSO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may just have to catch up with you one of these days and check it out... I'm in East Mesa... just a stone's throw from Tempe... I've been back and forth on the tune... wanna get a CAI first...

I still have the cable, if you want to send a log to Justin so he can check it out let me know..

CHISTOSO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
intake won't do sh*t compared to a tune. I'd bet a 4.8 with only a tune would stick right next to a stock 6.0

For $hits and giggles, I went to a car lot yesterday and took out a 6.0 Escalade out for a test drive and it felt the same if not close to mine but I know I will have the MPG advantage over it with a 4.8..