Black bear tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am looking to buy one, i have heard of it voiding your warentee on diesel trucks... i am looking for some low end torque those tahoes lack... will it clear my stock computer so if i go to sell the car or have it serviced they will be able to tell if i had a tuner ? i will be selling soon and dont want this to be a issue!!! also is it a DIY project or does it require... i am also thinking about the violent cold air:shy2: is this a good investment or should i wait and save my money?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blackbear tune is a good investment. With any tune, handheld or custom, it is possible to tell that it has been done, although they have to look for it to find out. If you go with a new ECM/TCM from blackbear it will be impossible to tell as you'll still have the original modules to stick back in when you no longer need them. That will cost you more money though.

As far as the intake goes, I assume you mean the Volant intake, it might help the high end a little, but all I really noticed is that it sounds louder when you step on it. If I could go back I'd pass on the intake, but do the tune much sooner!

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you could have warranty issues, but like Gambler said you can get the new tuned PCM and then keep the stock core for dealer visits. If they looked hard enough they could find a blank in the history, this is like if you're claiming a blown motor maybe. If a tune is done right it should be safe, these blocks can handle increases in power but the transmission and differential are susceptible to failure, and should be built at some point. The reason they're so tough on the diesel thing is because modding a diesel tune can actually add like 120 HP, a gas tune isn't even close. So guys' diesel motors are blowin left and right, and the factory doesn't want to eat it. As for the CAI, it's a nice little addition to other mods such as tune and exhaust, but in the end it doesn't do a whole lot, maybe responsiveness and noise. The computer will adjust away any mpg gains and the few HP it adds is really only at very high RPM. I got a GM one though, and if not that then Volant (not Violent, heh heh) would've been my next choice. Good unit from what I hear.

dknappia

Reaction score
I have a 08 suburban with 6.0 with both the Volant and the BlackBear tune. Both helped with mileage and power, with the tune being the best investmet. Justin is great to work with and does a great job. My favorite feature is the "performance" option instead of the tow/haul button. It changes the shift points and keeps the truck ready to rock at any given moment.

As for your low end power question, I would say the improvements helped some...tune the best, CAI not so much...

I would do both again.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot, also I would whole-heartedly endorse the BlackBear tune; with custom tunes there are a few nationally available companies out there, but this is the only one that I have heard absolutely nothing bad about. Some of the others have gotten bad marks for this or that, but I think Justin really knows what he's doing, teaches tuning, and has first-rate customer service. With that said I haven't gotten mine yet, but will soon, and am not getting any discounts or anything for talking them up. They just seem to outshine their competition on all levels.

chevyhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys i feel so much better about doing this now. i will definitly invest in that before i do the CAI... i am planning on moving up to 24'' so its going to make the hoe even more slugishhh!!! thanks guys

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, justin can calibrate the speedometer when he does the tune for the new wheels, so you might want to wait till you have them.

thanks guys i feel so much better about doing this now. i will definitly invest in that before i do the CAI... i am planning on moving up to 24'' so its going to make the hoe even more slugishhh!!! thanks guys

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should do everything first and then the tune, if you can, he will do free updates I think but it's just more trouble.

07Tahizzy- think I read it's like in the 30-40 HP/TQ range, but it also optimizes shift points, torque management, etc. So hard to quantify the gains but it would be running more optimally.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
GM tunes for the lowest common denominator, unfortunately.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always sort of thought GM (and all the others) just make sure there is a buffer of power, so like if the weakest link in the drivetrain (say the transmission) can take 370 lbs/ft of torque, then they provide the motor with 340. This to ensure that more parts will make it through the warranty period, which equates to less factory cost. If it was 370 I thought it would be okay to get to maybe around 360, but not go to 370 or more. Especially when taking away most of the Torque Management.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A whole bunch of things, people who use crappy gas,crappy maintenance, crappy oil etc. Basically it alleviates them having to do more warranty work and such.