Blown Bose speaker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2008 Yukon XL has a blown front dash speaker. The small one over the dashboard. It started the other day,I would hear "crackling?" noise from the drivers side spkr. (I like my music loud and is why I went with the Bose) I looked up the warranty and couldn't find anything specifying the stereo coverage. My question ...is this something covered under the bumper to bumper? I'm going to check with the dealer tomorrow but would like to go in with a little knowledge if they try and give me the runaround.
The Yukon has 4500 miles and is 5 months mine:inc:

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely take it back to the dealer have have them replace the speaker under warranty.

At the dealer It's like "Hey, one of my speakers is making this crackling noise it shouldn't. I think something is wrong with it."

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
x2
And dont fall for none of theri crap about volume or speaker settings. IMHO the OEM stereo is configured so.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Repeat after me...."I've had this problem with the radio since the day I drove out of here....." Yeah, that's something that will be picked up on the initial BtoB warranty. BTW, it's very possible the transducer could have been defective at the time of production. It's very difficult to actually "blow" one. The amp has a clip detection circuit to prevent just that from happening.

Yukon Joe XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its between the bumpers so it should be covered. Make them fix it!

Right!:)
Went out today and it no longer makes that noise. I'll keep an eye (or ear )on it for now. Set the audio to just the left front but it sounds fine :ktoe: now. May still be a problem though. I'm sure it will sound great at the dealership:rolleyes2:

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this problem on my Tahoe over the summer, they replaced two speakers, left driver/rear sides.
I hate the factory speakers, they suck ass, can't wait to replace them with aftermarket!

Yukon Joe XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer replaced the speaker without any questions. They didn't have any in stock so took one off an unsold in stock vehicle. Didn't think to order one when I made the apptmt. 2 days earlier, but the service guy was real good about it and had it done quickly so I didn't have to wait considering it was an easy job. My pessimistic nature took a hit though:D

mephipps69

Reaction score
Ya, I just took mine in today with a crackling noise in my rear driver side speaker. They replace it with a new one from another dealer. Still doing it. They are going to order one from Bose now. It is cover under extended warranty. Trim on the outside is not. So if they replace it with a new speaker and it still does it, any ideas on what it might could be? Do you think the output on the radio unit might be defective and the unit may need to be replaced, Just need firepower to tell them in case this other new speaker crackles...

mephipps69

Reaction score
Found the problem with the speaker. They replaced the one in the door and not the one in the back. Waterhead service techs. Anyone have any problems with the defrost wires that attach to the back window. The clip broke on mine and they epoxied it back and it came loose again. They did not replace the metal clip just tried to epoxy the broken one. 2nd time they used a glump of white epoxy and it looked like hell. I took it back to them and had to argue with the service manager to get them to trim it up and paint it black to conceal it. Should not have to do all that.....

catnhat fan

Reaction score
I had/have both problems. speaker blown and rear defrost. for the defrost, i used a solder gun, heated up the back of the connector, got the existing solder liquid, and stuck it back on. had to do both sides. they have not come off since i repaired them.

My front driver bose tweeter is blown also, new speaker is $35, I am out of warranty. But I can not figure out how to get the old one out? I can remove the speaker, but can not disconnect it. I am leaving the pillar trim piece in place though.

And I just replaced the evap valve on it also. it is located above the spare tire. Pain in the butt but the part was only $30. The dealer was going to charge me $90/hr to diagnose and then had a laundry list of parts.

I fixed it for $30.

I have a long list of things gone wrong. 4 broken door handles--WTF???