Buying high mileage 2002 tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCOA

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm about to buy a 2002 Tahoe LT with 100k miles. It seems in great shape otherwise as they just replaced the Tranny a couple thousand miles ago.

The selling price is $7k which I think is a super good deal, but I would like your opinions or warnings on this.

I have been lurking here for a while and am just now serious about buying this one. Thanks in advance!

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tranny's on these things can be an issue so if it's basically new that's one huge worry off your shoulders. You can book it out here

http://www.kbb.com/

or here

http://www.nadaguides.com/home.aspx

People talk about "Blue Book" value but to be honest, I've never bought a car where they looked at the Blue Book. Every used car I've ever bought the dealers and bank used the NADA book.

Good luck and welcome. I'm pretty much a hack but there are lots o' folks on here who know an awful lot about these rides. You'll get some good help if and when you need it.

sschrader

Reaction score
i just purchased a 02 Z71. It has 145k on it. The owner took extremely good care of it. I drove it a few times before I bought it. People can't believe it has that many miles. Not a thing wrong with mine (knock on wood)

Should be known that things can go wrong with a truck with fewer miles on them. Just not as many. A friend that has an 06 Denali had to have his transmission replaced. 16k miles on it.

Just drive it a few times, city, highway and everything. Crawl under it and look around. Check it out good and then go for it!

TCOA

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I did drive it home for the night and loaded it up with my wife and 3 kids. we love it! I'm still looking all over the net for more info about it though as I've never even dreamed of buying a 100k car! Makes me pretty nervous but it seems it is not as big a deal as I'm making it out to be. It looks great inside and out including under the hood.

sschrader

Reaction score
I never worried because the Jeep I replaced it with had 180k miles on it.