Changing the color of the front bowtie on 2001 Tahoe...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have to paint them or do they come off and can you buy different colored ones? I would like to make mine black. if you can buy them can someone please point me in the right direction?

Ryan

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you can buy them somewhere...but I would recommend buying one that is Chrome and then go to a body shop and have them paint it, but I had mine powdercoated black

IMG_1213.jpg

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you got websites for where you got yours at? and how much was the actual bowtie and about how much did it cost to get it painted? after you got it painted what did you do to get it installed?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I couldn't find a black one, so I pulled mine off and painted it. I sanded it down, sprayed it with a couple coats of black. Sprayed a couple coats of clear over the black, lightly sanded it, then polished it out with some 3M polishing compound.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Remove the grille. There are two tabs on the back of the bowtie that allows it to snap into place. A lot easier to remove it from behind by bending the tabs a little. Self-explanatory once you look at it.

bwilly20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find a black one, so I pulled mine off and painted it. I sanded it down, sprayed it with a couple coats of black. Sprayed a couple coats of clear over the black, lightly sanded it, then polished it out with some 3M polishing compound.

+1, really easy job for any afternoon you have a couple hours to spare. longest part for me was waiting for it to dry between coats.

04BLK

Reaction score
+1 On Painting
I Taped Mine Off (very Carefully)
3 Coats Paint , 1 Coat Clear , Light Sand And 2 More Clear

Then Polished With 3m Wax

This Is What I Did And It Looks Great To Me

06tahoez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can paint the stock one or even cover it with vinyl. I change the bowties often on both my Tahoe and my TBSS. Right now I have chrome ones on both trucks but I'm going back to black reflective vinyl on the Tahoe and my black painted SS one for my TBSS. I'm planning on having both of the chrome ones powercoated.