Clean Engine Compartment???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that the maintainace of the engine compartment is not talked about much on this forum. I wash my engine compartment about every 3-4 weeks.
So I want to know how many people wash their engine compartments and how often?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not yet, but I think it's a great idea, for a number of reasons. Looks good, easier to service/ inspect/ identify problems, increases value, actually runs cooler if not caked with grease. So tell us, any tips on particular parts you take care to seal off first, what do you use, and do you coat it with any kind of protective material afterward? I'd actually like to do the undercarriage too, but that wax they coat the frame with is kind of discouraging, picks up everything.

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been doing this with all of our trucks/cars for over 20 years. Just a couple of times a year and now most car washes have an engine cleaner selection so you don't have to buy a seperate cleaner. Just use the less powerful spray, let it sit a minute, and rinse. It will help with those areas addressed above (cooler, can see any leaks, etc) but (and this is something mentioned by Click and Clack from Car Talk) it sends a very subtle message to your mechanic that you take good care of your truck and engine and they should do the same.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I usually try to clean mine about once a month or so. I let the engine idle while I spray on degreaser. Let it soak for a couple mins, then rinse off. If you regularly clean the eng bay, then it won't build up all the grime and dirt like most vehicles do, and it makes it less of a hassle to work on when there's not an inch of buildup all over the parts you need to get to.

Auburn

Reaction score
I spray mine off every few car washes. Honestly, after having to keep our show car's engine bay clean and the fact that I am a little too short to reach most of the engine parts in the Tahoe I don't do as good a job as I should.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything you need to be careful about when doing this? Mine is starting to get dirty, I'm just worried about frying something.

solidgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything you need to be careful about when doing this? Mine is starting to get dirty, I'm just worried about frying something.

From what I have read, you are suppose to cover your electrical components with something, but I am not sure what really should be used to cover it and how. Do I just cover it on top or surround the entire unit.....I figure it is waterproof, but I see this recommendation for engine bay cleaning tips.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, but what is considered an electrical component? After all the entire frame is the ground... Is the alternator included in that? I'm not sure I can guarantee I won't hit that with water when spraying. Does that matter?

solidgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was only thinking about the battery, computer and the fusebox. But I would like to know what should be protected when cleaning this area as well in detail.

99TAHOE22'S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wash mine once a month to prevent gunk and build up also the under carriage to check for leaks and stuff

EasyRyder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
leave your engine running and just be careful not to full blast the alternator / spark plugs and wires, and you should be okay.

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with EasyRider. Just leave the spray on the less powerful mode and you should be fine. I clean the batter and the entire engine a couple of times a year and have never had an issue. I also keep a thin coat of Vasoline on the battery terminals to keep them clean, something else that I've done for many years.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Manufacturers try to make everything as weatherproof as possible. Afterall, it is exposed to water, mud, etc when you're driving while it rains and what not. You shouldn't have any problems at all when cleaning the engine bay. The components can take on some water, just don't soak them.

MSherr23

Reaction score
I have never covered anything in any of my vehicles when cleaning the engine. Like the others have said just don't use the highest pressure. My old truck had 270,000 on it when I sold it and all I ever had to do was replace batteries. I think they tell you to cover things mainly for old vehicles, but pretty much everything today should be pretty much weatherproof that needs to be.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be off topic but about 3 weeks back I was kinda lazy but wanted to wash my engine, so it was a pretty wild act but I rode up to Exxon and bought a works wash, then I opened my hood and drove on in, it cleaned it up pretty good, but do keep in mind that it was a high pressure water wash and not those types with the things that slap the car, which isn't good for your paint by the way.